PDA

View Full Version : damn central locking

bigdbear
23-11-2006, 05:06 PM
My central locking has been on the way out since a severe rear end accident back in july no it has gone all together there is nothing when trying to turn the key it goes left and right freely, yet doesnt lock or unlock the vehicle
can any body please help

mattyd
26-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Hey mate, i think i might be able to help you out. I had the same problem with my polo central locking, its an R reg. The central locking works by an air pump which controls the doors. My central locking got knackered, all i did was buy a new pump and voila it worked again! You say that you had a rear end bump a while ago? That might be the problem - either the bump has loosened the pipes from the pump or the pump itself is knackered.

Either way the pump is located in the boot at the righthand side behind the first aid kit - i dont know what happened to mine - have a look there and you might be in luck.

You can buy pumps off ebay or from a scrappy, also MK3 golf pumps can work in a polo, thats the type of pump i have.

Hope this helps!

Marc97
26-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Does it unlock any door? i.e. the door in which the key is being turned?
If not, try it in the passenger door and see what happens, if it works, you will need to remove the door card and make sure all the steel rods are attached to the lock.
If its not the rod, maybe the barrel is faullty.
Other than that, I agree with mattyd.

Cheers.

Marc97
27-11-2006, 12:24 AM
You're not the only one. Check here for possible needed part numbers.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2987

grahamf
02-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi, my son has a Mk3 with 60k miles, all has been fine, but the other day there was suddenly no central locking for all doors & boot and it is still not working at all. Do I take it from this thread that this pump will be the problem? (Fuse circuit. is OK.) What are the order of checks to do before assuming a new / replacement is needed? Many thanks.

Marc97
02-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Don't know about the golf but if it runs the same vaccum central locking, then listen for the pump running when you lock the doors. If you can't hear anything, time to get the multimeter out and check for live wires at the pump.

grahamf
02-12-2006, 07:44 PM
thanks for that. I should have said it is a Polo (T reg). But I'll check as you said.