PDA

View Full Version : New member looking speed

Roy4blues
23-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Hello all, I was told that this is the site that i need to solve the problem of my very slow transporter.
It is a 1994 Transporter 57 D SWB, converted to a camper, engine is a 2.4 diesel.
Is this the slowest model vw have ever produced? It takes an age to get to 60 mph and then if i encounter even a slight hill, the milk floats go past me!!
Is there anything i can do to make it a bit faster? Maybe fit a turbo? change the engine to a turbo unit?
I love this van but don't know how much longer i can put up with bicycles ringing their bells to warn me they are overtaking!!
Any help would be appreiciated.

Marc97
23-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Firstly, hi and welcome.
Unfortunately for you there is nothing you can do for the Transporter. A friend of mine also has one although his is a recovery truck and although he loves it it is very 'steady'.
I think maybe an engine transplant is the best way to go. Maybe another member could advise you better as to what engine will fit through the VW range but unfortunately I don't know.

MalcQV
23-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Welcome.

Don't worry too much, I just drove a 2006 1.6 Twinport Astra today. It was by far the slowest piece of crap I have ever driven.

Roy4blues
27-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks for your help. Pretty much as i thought, get use to it or change the engine.

Roy4blues
15-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Hopefully this can help others........i posted back in november about my very slow transporter camper van. Although i got a couple of sympathetic replys, neither was of any real help. I searched the web and came across a company in Basildon called EliteVW. These guys have turned my slow camper into a speed camera dodging machine! If anyone out there needs some work done on their vw and are looking for an honest deal, give these boys a ring. Thanks EliteVW!!

Marc97
15-01-2007, 07:20 PM
What did they do to it, and how much????

Roy4blues
24-01-2007, 05:33 PM
They told me that they corrected a jamming trottle, retimed the fuel pump, adjusted many other things and gave it complete check up and adjustment where it was needed. To be honest, it's just loads of technical jargon to me and i wasn't really taking it all in, they could have been talking chinese for all i know but i was well pleased with the results. They charged me £130. A small price to pay for anything nowadays.

Marc97
25-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Sounds like a bargain to me.
Well done.