PDA

View Full Version : Another Golf Plus noise

lawcosts
05-03-2008, 01:37 PM
I have just taken delivery of a new Golf Plus TDI Sport with the DSG auto box.

There is what I can only describe as a transmission whine (it sounds separate from the engine and it's there when the car is under acceleration, not when it's idling). It doesn't go away when the engine warms up

Obviously I am raising it with the dealer but wondered if this was a known issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Frelon
13-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Lawcosts, did you get a result from your dealer? My Golf Plus is also making a similar noise!

lawcosts
16-06-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm afraid no joy as yet - I haven't had the time in the last few weeks to make a sufficient nuisance of myself with the agent.

Initially I had a new pipe fitted somewhere but it made no difference. It is a real pain because the performance of the car generally is excellent. On the motorway it's really good.

It's just at low speed in the lower gears. Compared to a tractor it probably sounds like a Rolls Royce - but compared to what it should be it sounds like a tractor.

I have just come back from a week's holiday driving a new hired Punto 1.3 diesel which was near silent in comparison to my car (that costs twice as much as a Punto - maybe more).

I am going to get top the bottom of this - I'm 4,000 miles in now and it isn't going to settle down.

Goant
20-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Did you find out what it was?

Frelon
22-02-2009, 10:44 AM
In my case it was tyre related! I mentioned it to my dealer on the annual service. I said that the noise was most pronounced at about 40 KPH, but once past that speed no noise at all.

They told me that I had a possibly defective tyre, but as it only happens at 40 KPH I was not too worried - except that the tyre has a few thousand Kms left on its tread.

However since changing to winter tyres the noise has gone completely. In fact it is a very quiet ride now.

Will be interesting to see if the noise comes back when I put my summer tyres back on.

Frelon
11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Just replaced my old (noisy) summer tyres with new ..... and the noise has gone!!

Original fitment was Goodyear Eagle NCT5 - so replaced with same. Excellent wear at 38,000 miles.

A nice quiet ride now. But perhaps may come back as the tyres approach replacement next time! We will cross that bridge when we get to it!

litwardle
15-08-2009, 11:03 AM
A friend had the same problem with his 08 Passat. Annoying whine at the same sort of speed. After much arguing with the dealer it was the same as your problem. They changed various tyres and it stopped until 7k miles wear. Another tyre change and again 7k miles later the noise returned. He now has continetals all round and now 10k miles in and no problems.

Lee