PDA

View Full Version : The usual pierberg 2e2 problems

Gazpacho
05-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I got the car for nothing so I can't complain and the bodywork is 95% perfect.
I have seen hundreds of articles on this carb but do not which is the best route to tackle the problem.
My problem is cold start, engine runs to 3K revs and stays there. If you try to turn the engine off, it runs on, even taking the key out, for 5 to 10 seconds. Start it immediately after and it is fine, runs like a dream. I have got all the bits, new piping, waxstat, pull down unit, I could just do with a bit of help into which order I should tacke this please. Thanks

Diamond Hell
06-03-2008, 04:38 PM
The parts you've missed out are a Weber carb and fitting kit.

You're just throwing good money after bad with the Pierburg.

Gazpacho
06-03-2008, 05:08 PM
I threw the waxstat in boiling water last night....and it reset, after a couple of immersions. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about car carbs, give me an amal of an old triumph motorbike and I'm away, so changing would be a little struggle and as the car is really worth so little financially, I'm not sure the weber conversion would be wothwhile

Diamond Hell
06-03-2008, 10:23 PM
You remove all of the electrical connectors and tidy them away, unbolt the Pierburg, then bolt on the Weber fitting kit and bolt the Weber to it over the 4 M8 studs, connect up the petrol feed pipe and fit a manual choke cable on the bottom of the dash (there's a blanking plate).

It really is dead simple and definitely worth it for more power and better economy.

Gazpacho
07-03-2008, 08:23 PM
okay dokey, so the waxstat ha n't helped much. the small seepage of coolant onto the exhaust manifold was good with smoke everywhere after firing up........how much for the conversion kit and where do i get them from?

I surrender

kenney
07-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi A problem i have experianced many times,might help solve your problem,on the intake manifold there is a rubber seal and through time this seal expands for some reason or another and this stops the heated coolant going through the waxstat.You can not see this unless you remove the manifold

Diamond Hell
07-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Kits pop up on ebay regularly. Expect to pay about £100. Here's one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Weber-DMTL-32-34-carb-VW-AUDI-BMW-VAUXHALL-ETC_W0QQitemZ290211521864QQihZ019QQcategoryZ122139 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Gazpacho
08-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Bit embarrassing this morning, me and the better half chose to come to work in the golf to see how it ran....didn't need to touch the accelarator once, the 2500-3000 revs did that nicely! Then we park up at the hospital and over 30 seconds of shaking and growling before the engine decides to stop after I've taken the key out....Thanks for the webber info guys, can you get them new for this model? If so, what is its part number? :beerchug: Pub later, watch Man U then England rugby and no more Pierbergs!!!

Gazpacho
10-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Well we won't talk about football or the rugby, but the pierberg...its working!!
Runs for about 5 mins at high revs, till engine is warm and then works like a dream, 800 revs, stops when you switch it off. Now my question, is there a setting for the revs when the choke is operating? the 2800-3000 is a little excessive. Is there a control that will alter these revs but not affect the normal idling?

mr brightside
16-03-2008, 01:56 AM
by repairing that nasty old pierburg you're just putting off the inevitable. pierburg carbs are universally and uniformly crap. a weber replacement will be that much more responsive you'll think you just bought a new engine. as per prevous advice if you can do the work properly yourself try and get a manual choke model and convert your dash, just be sure it's jetted for your engine size.

Gazpacho
16-03-2008, 10:55 AM
I probably will, as it is running a couple of other jobs to do on it first though.

Right, I'm looking for a +12 volt supply and a switched 12v supply (I'm fitting a light on alarm...ooops flat battery again!) I have got the steering wheel panel off, only problem is those manuals are as much use a chocolate fireguard when it comes to electrical diagrams! I've got a doctorate in electronic engineering, but can I understand them? Not a chance!!

So if anyone knows which colours to go for, I'm ready with the cutters and the insulation tape

kenney
16-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi Behind the ignition switch the red wire is constant 12v and the yellow on black is ignition switched.

Gazpacho
16-03-2008, 12:24 PM
you're a star thanks

Do you know if the yellow/white is the switched 12 volt on the radio connector also?

kenney
16-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi according to the wiring diagram the white on yellow is for (Terminal for speed signal)

Gazpacho
16-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Can i ask you which diagram you are using, and where you got it from please?

kenney
16-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Radio and speaker diagram Golf 1992 mod from Elsawin

MrG
27-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Seriously get a Weber. It will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

I have spent many hours fiddling with Solex carbs and filling my kitchen with petrol smells

MrG