PDA

View Full Version : timing belt/ cam belt change

jonoallen
23-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Hi,
Just a quick question, I have a 2002 Golf manual G / Box 2-0 petrol engine with 20,000 miles 31000 Kms .
The garage say I need to change the timimg ( Cam Belts ) Is this reasonable or is it a bit of income generation by the garage?

The car is driven by my daughter - so it is not driven hard.

Kindest Regards
John Allen

stuart
23-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi,
Just a quick question, I have a 2002 Golf manual G / Box 2-0 petrol engine with 20,000 miles 31000 Kms .
The garage say I need to change the timimg ( Cam Belts ) Is this reasonable or is it a bit of income generation by the garage?

The car is driven by my daughter - so it is not driven hard.

Kindest Regards
John Allen

Sounds a little low to me 20000 miles, I would expect it to be in the region of 30000 - 60000 miles for most VAG engines, depends on engine type.

I would speak to another garage or main dealer, and get a 2nd opinion ;)

Stuart

MalcQV
23-11-2006, 08:32 AM
I have a 2.0 2003 Passat. The car was in under warranty for a failed water pump. Since they have to take the cambelt off (apparently) they offered me a cambelt change at a lower price. I asked as the car has only done 48k and the book surely must say 60k. It does 60k or 4 years.

I would agree that a cambelt is probably less stressed if it is not used but the material still deteriorates with age.

I have a weekend toy that is now away for the salty winter months. It only does about 1k a year. It is a 23 years old car so service intervals were different then. The manufacturer says 36k or five years. Because the car stands in tha garage a lot it is changed every three years. Other people I know change them every two.

FWIW I would have it changed.

Eshrules
26-11-2006, 01:24 PM
ive had non stop trouble with getting my supplying dealer to change my belt. the latest info from vw i beleive is 60k or every 4 years, whichever comes first, so by that logic, if your car is a 2002 it probably is due. as has already been say, the wear is not just mileage or driving style specific, rubber wears with time, natural weathering etc etc. it's probably best to air on the side of caution, a timing belt compared to the repair cost you would have if it fails, is very little.