PDA

View Full Version : jonoallen

jonoallen
23-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Hi,
Just a quick question, I have a 2002 Golf manual G / Box 2-0 petrol engine with 20,000 miles 31000 Kms .
The garage say I need to change the timimg ( Cam Belts ) Is this reasonable or is it a bit of income generation by the garage?

The car is driven by my daughter - so it is not driven hard.

Kindest Regards
John Allen

Gaz the Cab
23-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I would think they are basing that on the car being 4+years old, if it was mine I'd get it done....far cheaper than a broken belt.

Boardboy
23-11-2006, 05:48 PM
The tensioner seized on the girlfriends Golf a while back. It cooked the belt which the shaved the teeth off the belt. Bent every valve and cost £600 to put straight. VW have lowered the time intervals between belt changes. If it were me I would get it changed. It's only done 20,000 miles but like gaz the cab says it's 4 years old.
regards Boardboy

dolphinfreindly
26-11-2006, 09:33 PM
how the car is driven may shorten the life of a cambelt, but the real strain on a cambelt occurs when starting, acceleration and decelleration (change in engine speed generally) also puts strain on.
what has the garage quoted you, is it a reasonable amount or extortionate?
I have to agree with GTC far cheaper than a snapped one will cast you, and will give you peace of mind :approve: