PDA

View Full Version : 1995 A6 2.5 TDI auto MAF

brighton123
03-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi all just bought a 1995 A6 on an M plate 2.5 tdi auto, it is running seemingly very unerpowered, when I disconnected the wire from the maf it suddely gets its power back, I assume this needs a new sensor am I right? also brake pad warning light flashes all the time not sure what this means as I have no manual, there is also an intemittant fault on the odometer displaty sometimes it works sometimes not, sometimes it is in gibberish, do I need a replacement instrument panel? hope you can help

Felix

lonky
04-03-2008, 02:46 PM
yes the MAF has failed. You can try cleaning it, which may improve it.

There are links on how to do this on the site.

Don't buy a cheap one from e-bay, as these have a bad reputation.

Audi do recon ones ( old body new inners ). think they cost about £75.

when you disconnect the MAF you are runnning on default parameters which don't take into account ambient air temperature, so MPG and performance should improve when you fit a
working unit.

brighton123
04-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Audi quoting me £217 for MAF think I will try cleaning it first :(

brighton123
09-03-2008, 03:41 PM
and now its broken down with complete loss of transmission fluid all over the road, with water present in the fluid, guess I am looking at a new rad at the very least, not happy:confused:

lonky
10-03-2008, 01:52 AM
The wall between the radiator water section and the oil cooler part is known to fail when incorrect anti-freeze has been used.

Would not be over optomistic on the life of the auto box, if it's been running contaminated oil

But only one way to find out.

best of luck

brighton123
07-04-2008, 04:06 PM
The auto box does still work, have now replaced rad and sucked out as much fluid as possible also removed sump cover and wiped out the deposits from inside, fitted new strainer and now running better than ever on fresh fluid, all good there, got replacement MAF from a breaker fitted that, changed oil and filters and its like a different car. All good