PDA

View Full Version : One brake light stopped working

jshodgson
03-03-2008, 02:18 PM
My brake light on the drivers side started to stop working now and again and is now off all the time. I changed the bulb and that didn't help, in fact when I looked at it again it had turned black. I thought it may be an earth problem but the wiring diagram just says that the earth is in the rear wiring loom so I don't know where to check.

Any ideas most welcome.

Thanks,
A4 avant 1.9tdi 1998

Crasher
03-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Stupid question but have you checked the fuse?

routers77
03-03-2008, 07:30 PM
has the rear screen wash pipe ever come undone? mine did recently. because of a severe frost the end became blocked. i tried to use it and the pressure build up made the pipes come apart at the join. (which is found when you look in hole where the warning triangle is - up to the left.) this resulted in the whole of the compartment and the rear light assembly becoming drenched in screen wash. hope this helps.

jshodgson
04-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks
I haven't looked at the fuse as I presumed it would affect all the brake lights? Also the brake worked Ok last night when I had the lights on aswell.

The rear compartment is dry as a bone so I don't think screen was will have got in. Also I haven't used the rear wash for ages.

Does anyone know how I check the earth for this light?

Thanks

kenney
04-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi If it had of been a bad earth then the other lights on the same side would be affected.Are you sure you have put the right bulb in.

jshodgson
05-03-2008, 09:09 AM
The bulb has worked fine for months so I am sure it is the right one. Again last night when the lights were on the brake light worked ok??????

kenney
05-03-2008, 09:31 AM
In that case there is a bad connection live side,have you looked at the contacts on the tail light connector?

jshodgson
05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Yes I checked them first pulled the socket off and cleaned them using electrical conatct cleaner spray. Is there anything I can check?

kenney
05-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi If this is an intermittent problem without having to trace the fault and you might never find it.I would suggest run a wire from the brake light that is working and connect it to the non working one.You will do no harm.