PDA

View Full Version : Very dull xenons

Dull Xenon
03-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I've already posted this thread on the model specific page, but I'm posting it here as I believe that there may be wider implictions. VAG-COM is not showing my fault, but someone may know of the problem.

My post reads..............

I have a severe problem with the factory-fitted OEM xenons on my Mk IV Golf (52 plate – 2003 model year).

When the car was new, the xenons were very white and bright, with good spread and range (about 150 – 200 yds).

After about 6 weeks, the xenons started to lose brightness and range, and were often dull and yellow in colour. I experienced ‘good days’ and ‘bad days’ for a while, until after about 8 months from new there were only ‘bad days’. The xenons are currently no brighter than the halogen main beams (with original bulbs), and on some days the mains totally obliterate the xenons.

The wiring has been checked many times, and although some improvements were made early on, they didn’t last for more than a few days. Some of the wiring has been replaced, together with the powerpacks, bulbs and battery – we have also tested a new light switch and X-relay.

As a measure of desperation, we even put in direct feeds from the battery using relays – effectively isolating the xenons from the main lighting feeds. This showed some improvement for a couple of weeks, but as there was no long term benefit the original wiring has now been reinstated.

As both xenons are always in-step, I’m looking for a common cause. The main problem appears to be in the start-up with the xenons achieving their maximum output within just a couple of seconds – they then turn dull and yellow shortly afterwards. This gives insufficient time for the bulbs to heat up and stabilise, with the result that the xenons are dull and unstable.

As the wiring appears to be OK, and all diagnostic readings are acceptable, I am looking for an obscure ‘glitch’ of some description which is causing the xenons to start-up in a ‘dull’ or ‘safe’ mode – maybe associated with the levelling (which has also been erratic), system coding or a false ‘overheating’ situation.

Any advice and information that may help resolve the problem would be greatly appreciated.