PDA

View Full Version : No cabin heat!!!

maddievenn
22-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Ive just bought a lovely 97' A4, that drives like new, but the cabin heater doesnt work!!! The blower is fine, and there is a token gesture of warm air after 20 mins of driving, but no where near the normal. In this weather, apart from my **** being frozen, the window doesnt demist.
Both pipes from the engine into the cabin area are hot, and the blower works fine. so why no heat?
Can anyone tell me any short/long term fixes, costs and if its a garage or DIY job.
Regards
New boy Matt.
ps. theres no A/C. (unfortunatly)

MalcQV
22-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Even though they are hot there could still be a an airlock somewhere. Does the temp gauge read normal after 20 mins or so?

Short of emptying the coolant and flushing water through (hose) can't suggest much else.

Years ago in my old MKIII Cortina I had similar problems. It improved for awhile after replacing the thermostat, but eventually would revert back to blowing only warmish air.

Boardboy
22-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Got to agree it doe's sound like an airlock. I'm not sure of the system on your A4 but if both pipes through the bulkhead are getting hot it would surgest some flow. Have you tried giving all the hoses a good squeeze with the expansion cap off?
Regards Boardboy

P.s I just remembered my Golf had two safety valves fitted.So if the heater matrix burst they'd stop the flow in to the car. I think they weren't that reliable and would restrict the flow regardless of a leak. Anything like that fitted on your A4?

Marc97
23-11-2006, 01:24 AM
No suggestion from me but welcome aboard mate.