PDA

View Full Version : Miles Per Gallon / Petrol Consumption

bazzill
02-03-2008, 10:28 PM
just questioning the mileage you all get from a full tank?

driving carefully i get 300 miles from a tank, surely this isnt right?

on average i get 250 miles to the tank. this is starting to annoy me with this car

(Audi TT 1.8T [180] for reference)

audipersempre
03-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I can't recall what a tank holds now but my other half used to get around 23mpg using the car as a local runaround (school trips and shopping trolley!) when we had a TT180 Roadster.

bazzill
03-03-2008, 08:13 PM
i just done a quick calculation and it comes up as just under 19mpg when driven hard and 24 when i drive like a grandad!

does anyone reckong that heated seats / headlights on all the time etc add much to the mpg?

Moro Anis
03-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Driving with any electrical items on will increase consumption. I've had my 180 quattro (6 speed) for 3 weeks now and my total average is 29.3mpg. This includes a couple of trips over 100 mls but on A roads not motorway. The rest is mainly running around plus having fun in the lanes. if you watch the current consumption and lift your foot slightly you can maintain speed and ease consumption. Is your air filter ok?

bazzill
03-03-2008, 11:54 PM
im starting to think that its not ok :S even driving 300 motorway miles (give or take) its still about 24mpg. this is not going above 70mph and not accelerating hard.

maybe something i should check? hmmmmm

audipersempre
04-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I would suggest you do have some kind of problem. On a motorway run at 70mph I got 30mph out of the 180 roadster.

Oh, if my other half used to get 24mpg around town are you suggesting she drives like a grandad! :biglaugh:

bazzill
04-03-2008, 05:07 PM
yeah i will check the air filter first port of call i think.
i've been needing an excuse to fit a K&N one anyways!

haha :D either that or its downhill all the way for you ;)

soprano29
04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Ive got a 225 quattro that averages around 23mpg. i found that turning the air con off and running on the economy setting added an extra 40 miles from the tank(rememebr the air con is always on unless you press the econ' button). My friend had his Golf GTI chipped and this also saves on fuel. he found that a journey that would normally cost 25-30 pounds in petrol now costs around 15-20 pound and he has more power and torque although he did have to spend £350 to have it chipped. fitting a k+n will not help the economy either. check the spark plugs and air filter. decent plugs(NGK) will help too.

bazzill
04-03-2008, 09:31 PM
i thought an uprated air filter would add MPG? if it gives an increase in power then it wouldnt use as much engine power to maintain the same speeds?

i think NGK's may be on the cards if they would make a difference.

in terms of having it chipped i would worry about the effects on other parts of he engine. it was designed for 180 bhp and making it 225 with only the single exhaust etc may damage somewhere else? i think this because i have a motorbike and uprated parts on that ruined the exhaust as it wasnt designed for the power.
correct me if im wrong!

audipersempre
05-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I think the standard response is that as long as you car has been properly cared for and serviced and there are no faults a remap won't do any damage.

Real world experience. The only car I ever had chipped was a BMW 325i coupe. Transformed the way the car drove and nothing ever went wrong afterwards despite some rowdy use of the available power. It was naturally aspirated though so no turbo's to worry about!

I am going to have my A6 2.7T done despite fears of exploding turbo's and disintegrating automatic gearboxes :D

bazzill
05-03-2008, 04:19 PM
haha i'll certainly look into it. breifly checking there was a drive in drive out service for about £170 somewhere up north which doesnt sound too bad.

as for exploding gearboxes etc.. you only live once ;)

andyrichards_24
15-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Mate, firstly let me tell you that i have the same car, secondly let me tell you that i get the same mpg as you. But more importantly let me tell you to stop moaning, if you buy a sportscar you expect to use loads of petrol. I cant believe you drove like a grandad just to see hom many extra miles you got............now that really is a waste of petrol. I suggest you put your foot down and enjoy you car to the max or buy a toyota prius (great mpg but then you WILL look like a grandad):D

bazzill
15-03-2008, 09:30 PM
well when you do 400 miles a week for work it makes a massive difference to how much money your left with at the end.

i wasnt moaning.. i wanted to know if it was normal or there was something wrong with my car.

as for driving like a grandad... it made about 20 miles difference.. and think of your carbon footprint ;)

DanT
14-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi. The fuel consumptions readings are usally well out so to a full tank of regurlar or super fuel I get no less thatn 300 miles but never much more.

I've got a 225, 2001 coupe.

On a run it gets up to 32 mpg which isn't bad at all

bazzill
14-04-2008, 05:45 PM
thats pretty good, i got an extra 2/3 mpg just from using a bottle of Redex over two full tanks. (it was a long drive to scotland!)

thinking of getting my 180 remapped to 213 tho... that also helps fuel..

pgarner
14-04-2008, 05:53 PM
in my bora basically same engine i get 32mpg on a normal 30 mile run. done a 350 miles run down to london and only got 37mpg. having fun with it some nights on the way home from work i only get around 25mpg and thats without the quattro

DanT
14-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi.
Yes I've heard a remap can improve mpg but I've been a bit sceptical. I had a mk4 golf 90BHP and got a REVO map and it was the best £500 I ever spent. Totally transformed the car. Equal fuel economy and much smoother acceleration loads more torque.

If you know of any experiences of mapping a 225, I’d be very interested.

lucky225
18-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi Ive got a TT 225 and average around 27-29 mpg most of which is 'round town driving' so cant understand why you get poor consumption out of your 180 unless you give it the beans everywhere?
i would seriously think of taking it for a diagnostic check even if the managment light isn't on, you could still have a slight fault with something like a lambda (oxygen) sensor which would cause it to be on the thirsty side!

ryanant
19-04-2008, 12:13 PM
i have a 225bhp roadster which has been re maped to 270bhp and the only thing i had to replace was the re circ dump valve as the plastic Bosch one couldn't handle the increase in boost pressure.

I am also getting approx 30mpg in the city with the occasional traffic light grand prix.:biglaugh: