PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy Diesel

chrisp
22-11-2006, 01:38 AM
I recently chipped my GT TDi 110 Mk4 and although it's now quicker and more economical (when I drive sensibly, anyway!), it feels a bit lumpier running and seems a bit louder too. Is this anything to worry about? It's not a huge difference, and obviously as the car's producing more power, it's bound to be louder, just wanted to check.
Thanks to anyone who replies...
:beerchug:

Paul Jay
23-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi

If you're getting more noise and vibration check out the 'dogbone' engine mounting which connects the base of the engine to the crossmember.

The rubber bushes often wear causing extra noise/vibration to be transmitted. You may experience more strain on this component due to the extra torque of your engine.

I think they cost about £60 from VW or maybe less from ECP or GSF.

Hope this helps

Boardboy
23-11-2006, 08:21 PM
If it has gone you could replace it with a polyurethane one like :

http://www.superflex.co.uk/SuperFlex...K_4_Prices.pdf

Regards boardboy

Paul Jay
23-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Tried Powerflex (yellow) bushes in mine before buying a genuine part. They certainly firm things up, but for a road car they would drive you insane!
The guy who sold them to me said 'you might notice a slight increase in noise' - the 'slight increase' he referred to made the radio obselete!

I believe correct part number is 1JO 199 851 R

Cheers

Paul

Boardboy
23-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up on that Paul. I do like my music!
regards Boardboy

chrisp
23-11-2006, 11:19 PM
I thought it might be that after reading another post on vibration. Thanks guys, don't suppose you'd know how much I can expect in labour costs? I'm too lazy/busy/clumsy (delete as applicable) to try it myself!