PDA

View Full Version : Old Polo auto choke problem

tot
22-11-2006, 12:31 AM
My son has use of my old C reg Polo Coupe in France but it won't start in cold/damp. I met a guy who worked as main Fuel expert on Rover and he said it will be anauto choke problem. Is it poss to modify auto to manual on this car easily AND is there a way i can start it at present?
My son is desperate as he needs a car to get to Biarritz to get a job!
Thanks, Tot

Marc97
22-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Its not recommended but he could use (and I say this at the risk of being linched by other members) easy start. One shot up the air filter intake will fire it up straight away although it is said that engines get quite addicted to this stuff if over used. Engine will need to be warmed up slightly before the car will run properly.
Alternatively, remove the air filter housing and with the throttle open, push down on the choke flap. This should engage the choke until the throttle is pressed again. Leave the car to idle for a minute or 2 before pressing the accelerator.

Manual choke conversion is a simple job that should take less than an hour.

Good luck.

tot
22-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks for that and he is going to try once the storm has stopped raging in Biarritz-has been so for last 2 days!
Can one buy a manual kit conversion from German Swedish do you know? Many thanks
Tot

gary_francis
23-11-2006, 06:00 PM
I had this problem too!

Is the tube from the exhaust manifold connected to the bottom of the air intake valve? Polo's need warm air to stop the carb from icing up. Also are the carb jets fully tightened.

Did all this on mine recently and she goes and starts like a dream

tot
23-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks for that info. He has fitted new leads and if they don't do the job he can try these ideas. Many thanks. It seems to affected by damp as opposed to the cold, though perhaps a combination of both.
The previous owner had said it was 'unhappy' in the cold so maybe you are right!
Tot

PS WE are importing the car at present into France from the UK. it has only done 59000 miles from new (C reg)