PDA

View Full Version : replacing MK2 radio arial

speedydan
21-11-2006, 11:07 PM
hey guys,

im trying to replace my car arial as the original has snapped, but i was just wandering if anyone could tell me the best way to get access to in underneath? Im trying to replace the whole thing.

Ive tried going under the bonnet but i cant get access to it.

can anybody give any tips?

onzarob
21-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Hi Dan,

I don't have and an exact guide for you, but you will find that the ariel is removed from under the wheel arch with a grommet that the cable goes through into the bulkhead and into the car.

To get at the bottom of the ariel, you will have to remove the wheel arch linner.

Hope this helps

Rob:D

speedydan
22-11-2006, 04:17 PM
whats the best way to remove the wheel arch liner??

im a complete noob so sorry for all the questions.

Dan

Boardboy
22-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Dan give yourself a bit of space. Jack the car up a rest on an axle stand. Take the wheel off. There are about five screws that attach the liner to the lip of the wheel arch (they might be pop rivets) these need to be removed. Inside the arch the liner is attached with (I'm trying to remember here as it's been awhile) three or four 8mm headed bolts to the inner wing these have got to come out too. The bolts and screws are usally covered in road crude and might not be easy to see. You'll know when you 've got them all out.
If you pull the two sides of the liner together you'll be able to get it out.
I've done this job on both a MKII & III ,but some time ago.
You should be able to reach up to the right and get to the aerial.
When you've fitted the new aerial lead in the car make sure that the crommets are in properly fitted or you'll end up with water in the car.
Good luck
Boardboy

onzarob
22-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks Boardboy, couldn't of said it better myself...the screws will be coroded so take it steady and remeber to support the car properly. a set of axel stands are a must as you don't want the car falling off the jack with the wheel off as your head and limbs might get caught.

Saftey first enjoy.

axel stands from halford should cost about £10.

speedydan
23-11-2006, 12:35 AM
thanks very much for all the help!

will get some axle stands and attempt to change it.

Thanks!
:)

oceanwizard
28-11-2006, 01:24 PM
I changed an ariel on a mk2 and found that i did not need to remove the wire, just get hold of the bottom part in the arch and unscrew the top part this saves much time and hassle but only works if you dont need to replace the wire job didn't take longer than half hour
hope this helps