PDA

View Full Version : 1996 A6 locking problem - please help

mid*life*crisis
01-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi

I am a newbie and I am tearing my hair out with a locking problem. I would appreciate the benefit of any experience out there.

I have a 1996 A6 2.5 TDi Avant without remote central locking. The lock barrel broke and I was able to lock the car from the drivers door, but unable to open it! I have spent about a month opening the passenger door and reaching in to open the other doors using the central locking switch.

I have just spent several hours today fitting a new lock barrel to the drivers door. I was eager with anticipation as I tried it out - NO JOY!:zx11:
I can now unlock the drivers door, but this does not ulock the rest of the doors, nor does it disable the alarm.

Does the alarm system need 'telling' that there is a new lock barrel fitting?
Could a microswitch be faulty?

Has anyone any advice to offer on this matter? Thanks in anticipation.

Peter D
01-03-2008, 07:17 PM
It sounds like the microswitch has been disturbed or the connector and the car is not seeing the lcok/unlock signal. Regards Peter

mid*life*crisis
08-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the advice.

The problem did turn out to be microswitch related:

I replaced the microswitch (at the cost of £35!) only to find the problem still existed. I eventually tracked it down to a broken wire where the wires go from the door to the main body of the car.

All is well now.

All I need to do is find a buyer for an Audi A6 door lock microswitch ... any ideas?