PDA

View Full Version : Audi help please

idboo
21-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Hello:fing02: I'm Daz from Rotherham and I'm on the look out for an Audi 80 coupe 2.6 v6.just been having a look round for some Audi forums and come across ur's:biglaugh: nice site.

I could really do with some help as to what to look out for when i find a nice 1????? What mileage should the belts have been done any knocks and rattles i should listen for etc.....any help would be much appreciated as I've not had an Audi before and really no nowt about them atm:Blush: but I'm sure I'll pick it up as i go along.
:beerchug: Daz.

Boardboy
21-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Welcome Daz
Sorry I don't know about Audi 80's but i'm sure someone will let you know what to look for. I hope you get your answer.
Regards Boardboy

idboo
21-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Cheers:fing02:

Marc97
21-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi Daz, welcome to the boards. I'm no expert on Audi 80's either but I do own one and a friend of mine owns a coupe so maybe I can give you a couple of suggestions what to look for. Obviously, before a road test you should look at the bodywork, check for any signs of accident damage and repair and also look for signs of corrosion, under the bonnet, in the boot and especially under or near to external plastic trims.
Late 80's don't suffer from terminal tinworm so if you find some, it is evidence that the car has been damaged and repaired at some point.

Get inside, check that the windows go up and down smoothly, if not you might be looking at a tedious window machanism replacement in the near future. Also, check that dash warning lights work correctly and that the heater controls are also working and the heater blows hot.
Check that the seats move forwards on both sides and check the rear seat to make sure it drops. There could be a small central locking problem if not.

Take it for a drive, on start up, check for blue smoke, then get on your way and go through all the gears, get a feel for the steering, hold the steering wheel lightly in you fingers (not too light) and from about 20mph in 2nd gear, bury the throttle. If the cars pulls to either side, it more than likely needs front suspension bushes/wishbone/ball joint.
Find an empty car park and with full lock right, do a couple of cirles and listen for suspension knocks or a clicking noise. Do the same on left lock. If it clicks under light acceleration, you will need a new CV joint.

After the test drive, leave the engine running, listen for the fans coming in and going off again, also check the temp and oil pressure gauge (if fitted, should be in the centre console)

Some 80's have height adjustable headlights too, turn the lights on and alter the position, making sure they go up and down together.

I don't know a lot about the 2.6 engine so I won't go there, just make sure the gearbox is quiet and smooth and also that the engine isn't smokey or tappety (they all tap quietly a little bit, its usually the injectors chattering). If it has a cam belt, ask when it was last changed and ask for proof.

Other members might be able to add to this or correct anything I've put which might need correcting, other than that, good luck and remember.

You get what you pay for, if its cheap, you'll get a cheap car!

adamss24
21-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Lift the oil cap and see for mayonaisse like goo- sign of a blown head gasket. See the service history as its a complicated engine and owner often skimp on maintenance due to high costs. Have someone rev the engine while you look at the exhaust . If its smokes blue the piston rings may be worn if its black it will need new plugs, ht leads, air filters. Watch for erratic iddle sign that the iddle control valve could be damagged or the throttle body needs cleaning. Work the brakes a bit and see if the abs works if fitted, and the nose doesnt dive too much under hard braking(worn/shot springs and dampers), make shure the car doesnt pull either side(sticky brakes), make shure the electrics work as should including the heater blower-if noisy, the brushes may be worn out and it costs to repair/replace. Drive it over somme speed bumps and listen for odd noises from the rear suspension (axle bushes will give a wallowy feel like a boot full of bricks on a FW drive car) also look for split gaitors/noisy rear driveshafts, leaky differential seals(will need sorting ASAP) and noisy trasnsmission whine, if in doubt, WALK AWAY as its verry expensive to fix and its a sign that the car has been abused and had poor maintenance, gearbox should be slick and without noisy/jerky noises. With the engine off and without pressing the clutch go trough all gears: if gears are difficult to select it may be a faulty linkage or syncromesh on the way out, also try to select reverse with the engine running. Other than that look for dampness inside the car(carpets and door cills) and the obvious wear and tear. As Mark sayd, you get what you pay for ! Take your time and you shouldnt get wrong.

idboo
21-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks a lot for that mate:fing02: like i said any advice will be gratefully appreciated. I've been looking through the site and picked up 1 or 2 points to note: heaters/windows/door seals. It's really engine advice I'm after???don't no a thing about Audi v6's. I'm looking to spend 2500 ish on 1 so hopefully can get a nice 1 with about 100k on the clock.
Cheers Daz.

idboo
21-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Cheers. nice and helpful on here.

adamss24
21-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks a lot for that mate:fing02: like i said any advice will be gratefully appreciated. I've been looking through the site and picked up 1 or 2 points to note: heaters/windows/door seals. It's really engine advice I'm after???don't no a thing about Audi v6's. I'm looking to spend 2500 ish on 1 so hopefully can get a nice 1 with about 100k on the clock.
Cheers Daz.
Engines should run smooth and without tappety noise. Make shure you find out/proof the cambelt has been done as you will likely scrap the car due to costs if it breaks. Run synthetic oil if its a fairly low mileage engine. Power should be silky smooth and with a stainless back box will sound awesome. Fit a s2 steering whell with no airbag and upgrade the stereo and it still a pulling machine. Lissten for noisy wheel bearings on front wheels and if its the right car, enjoy-it ! Good luck.

idboo
21-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Engines should run smooth and without tappety noise. Make shure you find out/proof the cambelt has been done as you will likely scrap the car due to costs if it breaks. Run synthetic oil if its a fairly low mileage engine. Power should be silky smooth and with a stainless back box will sound awesome. Fit a s2 steering whell with no airbag and upgrade the stereo and it still a pulling machine. Lissten for noisy wheel bearings on front wheels and if its the right car, enjoy-it ! Good luck.
Cheers gain mate. i'm really looking forward to finding 1 and enjoying it:biglaugh: it'll prob take me time to find the 1 i want cos it always dose wi me:zx11: looks like it'll be 1 or 2 trips up and down the M1 for me soon.
Daz.

idboo
23-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Reet been having a good look round today:biglaugh: and need some more advice please(don't no if i should be posting in here or start a new thread?) any how:1zhelp: I've seen some v nice looking coupes but also seen some nice looking A4 2.6 quarto's. So is there any things i should be listening for with the quarto?? the 1's i've seen have 80-100k on them with service history 1997/98and r going for £2000/3000 dose this sound about right??

Cheers again Daz.

Marc97
23-11-2006, 02:55 AM
Don't know anything about A4's mate but I would imagine the you should be watching for the same things with the engine.

2-3 grand sounds OK (doesn't it?)