PDA

View Full Version : 16v 1.8 mk2 coolent problems

Cbob
01-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I got it free.
2 years ago!!!
ok it is in great all round nick but it came to me with no radiator heat sensor and a paper clip in the plug keeping the fan on all the time with low coolent.

so I filled it up and it came out again and again now that got me thinking........now its had a new rad sensor
new radiator 6 gallons of coolent new themostat (could I have installed this the wrong way round?) new water pump total head rebuild with new head gasket all temp sensors have been checked and there didn't seem to be any cracks in the cylinders but oddly there seemed to be no problems with the head or the gasket at all AND the there was no evidence of steam or water on the piston tops.
I have yet to finish putting all this mess back together but that wont take too long
someone on this site was talking about the 'well known mk2 air lock' problems.
I lost this thread registering and cant find it but looked just like this with the coolent being fine for a bit then boiling out of the bottle.
the reason i did the gasket and head was because there was steam in the exhaust but that could have been from it being stood for a while the coolent didnt spend long enough to see if it was being blown out the back.
help

1.9mk1golf
27-03-2008, 09:01 PM
personlly i would have tried an expantion tank cap , it might not be holding pressure