PDA

View Full Version : Engine cuts out after start up???

moulsan
01-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi,

I've got a 1995 Audi A4 1.8se (i know this section is for 1996 onwards but there doesn't seem to be a section for before 1996).

When i start the car it starts straight away then cuts out completely after a second or two.

It's been happening for a couple of weeks, the other day it refused to start alltogether, i changed the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay and it now starts again but still has the cutting out problem.

after 5 or 6 attempts it starts up and doesn't cut out and it drives fine although it idles really iratically.

anyone got any ideas on what the problem is? it's driving me mad!!!

obg
01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
possible coolant temp sensor. Is it ok when it warms up?

moulsan
01-03-2008, 01:28 PM
possible coolant temp sensor. Is it ok when it warms up?

Once it's fully warmed up it does seem okay yeah.

obg
01-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Also check all the air pipes, make sure there are no splits. If possible buy some carb cleaner and with the engine running spray it round the inlet manifold area, if the engine starts to run smoother for a few seconds then it indiacates an air leak.

moulsan
01-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Also check all the air pipes, make sure there are no splits. If possible buy some carb cleaner and with the engine running spray it round the inlet manifold area, if the engine starts to run smoother for a few seconds then it indiacates an air leak.

Righto, i'll give that a try, thanks.

mrjolly
01-03-2008, 09:22 PM
immobiliser..... try a different key to start it.

snigged
15-04-2008, 03:24 PM
See April notes re the immobiliser coil etc
David

Hi,

I've got a 1995 Audi A4 1.8se (i know this section is for 1996 onwards but there doesn't seem to be a section for before 1996).

When i start the car it starts straight away then cuts out completely after a second or two.

It's been happening for a couple of weeks, the other day it refused to start alltogether, i changed the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay and it now starts again but still has the cutting out problem.

after 5 or 6 attempts it starts up and doesn't cut out and it drives fine although it idles really iratically.

shopkins
15-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi,

Mine's the same, it's definatley the immobiliser not reading the key.
Does the dashboard immobilser lamp go out or continue to flash?
If flashing then I've found that you do not need to start the engine, simply turn off then on with the key until the lamp goes out then it will start fine.
Hope this helps

snigged
15-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Today is my first day here,

I found an earlier blog, that Audi admitted the wire are too short, cant remember the number but I collected 4 pages on word of similar problems, here are a few

1) most likely candidate is a dodgy induction coil on the ignition cylinder.

I was lucky, mine was just a dodgy connection. maybe this is a common problem if the steering column is adjusted frequently, much like the driver seat airbag problem.

2) Mine never been trouble since.......
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...1731#post31731 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=31731#post31731)

I just do not mess with the steering column ....

I had the same snag a few years ago. Apparently the cabling that connects to the induction ring is very fragile and too short. When you use the steering wheel reach adjustment it can pull on the cable. Audi dealer said it was common problem, they removed steering wheel and lengthened the cable and attached it with cable ties. wasnt too dear and they valeted the car while I was there... Which was nice

3) I had that problem you have to get a new barrel which has the reader coil around it, it comes as one unit and was about 70 but you also then need to have it tuned in and the lovely people (audi ) tuned it in for me i still get the problem now and then but audi say its a common problem and to turn the key over and it will work which it does hope this helps!

David

Righto, i'll give that a try, thanks.