PDA

View Full Version : HI NEWBIE ADVICE ON CV JOINT

redevo1
21-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi I've just bought an Audi a4 Avant TDI Red eye on a R plate as a cheap run around for work, etc. As I have an another car for fun. And I enjoy my Audi as much and I think the C.V joint has gone? What is the cost off a new one plus fitting? Cheers Tony :biglaugh:

Dave Avant
21-11-2006, 05:10 PM
What makes you think the CV joint has gone? What symptoms do you have?

I went to see a BMW 318 with a friend and the seller said he had replaced the CV joint on the front!!! :lol:

A new drive shaft would be around £100 and fitting would be 2-3 hours, not entirely sure as not yet worked on the Audi.

redevo1
21-11-2006, 05:13 PM
There's a knocking coming from the front o/s wheel only really noticeable at lowesh speed's and a mechanic had a quick look for me and thought it was the CV joint. Tony

Dave Avant
21-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Ah right then, yes do about 20mph and turn the wheel fairly sharpish and accellerate will show it up. Go round a right hand corner and it will be the RHS and vice versa.

The actual CV isn't generally replaced on its own, there are 2 on each drive shaft, its normally the outer joint that goes as this does the bending when steering. Its not a bad job so long as you have the tools and a big bar to 'crack' the drive shaft hub nut off as these are tight!! :beerchug:

redevo1
21-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Just got the car back from the Garage and a nice £132 bill part and labour mmm.Is that about right. Tony

Dave Avant
21-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Yes that is a good price as most of that price is the drive shaft!!

Probably new shaft and a hour or 2 labour. :D

redevo1
21-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Bill says CV Joint replaced & boot £78 plus £54 labour, happy to have the car back as the more I drive it the more I like it. Quite a nippy engine and good torque. Tony