PDA

View Full Version : 2001 New Beetle Water Leak - PLEASE HELP ME!

kdeedub
29-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I have a 2001 New VW Beetle which has a water leak. I discovered my driver side rear footwell had water logged carpet and mats, there was also water sodden front footwell mats. We traced the water entering the car from the heater channels under the car seat and the one to the side. We had no choice but to strip the interior out of the car and dry the carpets, mats and soundproofing. We have replaced the pollen filter, removed leaves and sealed the bottom of the pollen filter housing with mastic. I kept the interior out of the car to see if the problem was fixed. But i have now discovered that now the passenger side is leaking as well from the same heater channels on that side of the car. I am at my witts end and have read that lots of people have this problem but cant find anyone who has found the real problem. I dont have a sunroof and the leak is not coming from any door seals, it is coming from the heater channels. Please can somebody advise me what to do next......before i get some petrol and a match! :aargh4:

Vee.Dubster
19-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Does your NB have a sunroof? The sunroof drain tubes are a common problem.

turbobugger
20-03-2008, 10:03 PM
If its a convertable model, The strip of rubber on top of the windshield is common to leak! They can be replaced.

mluton
23-03-2008, 03:19 PM
I have the same problem, see here:
http://briskoda.net/forums/octavia-i/water-drivers-side-rear-footwell/105108/

I think it could be the air con drain is blocked, mine is in the garage in 2 weeks (ealiest they could get me in), hopefully sort it then.

Stioll cant find the sorce of my problem either.

kdeedub
29-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. My garage found the problem. It was where the car is manufactured and they weld the body shell together. Someone goes round and seals the join. Whoever did it missed two sections which were about 1cm wide. This is located under the dirt shield under the wing. You would never believe water would have came through but it did. Obviously the quality control in the VW factory is poor. I am sure this is a problem throughout the VW models looking at various forum sites. Thanks again.

meclyde
05-02-2010, 11:22 PM
I appear to have the same problem, as discovered my drivers side passenger well was filling with water. Is the water coming in as I drive or is it coming in when the car sits outside in the rain? I can't quite tell from the description you've provided. I'm not privy to the location of the dirt shield and the wing. Thanks.