PDA

View Full Version : Towbar fitment - Bumper cut?

jeepster1961
29-02-2008, 03:13 PM
hi, getting my passat next week, about to order a towbar.

If I get a removeable one, I need to replace the rear spoiler.

If I have a swan neck towbar, non removeable do I cut into the bumber or the rear spoiler.

cheers

angus
29-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Have you priced one up yet?

My dealer wanted nearly 900 quid for a fixed bar/electrics.

Mine was fitted for £215.00 inc. VAT, with twin electrics, chrome flipper and stainless bump plate while I waited.

There is a small cut but you can`t see it unless you grovel under, and after having a detachable on my previous Passat I wanted the extra protection of a visible deterrent, as the rear bumper plastics are huge and VERY expensive.

jeepster1961
29-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Have you priced one up yet?

My dealer wanted nearly 900 quid for a fixed bar/electrics.

Mine was fitted for £215.00 inc. VAT, with twin electrics, chrome flipper and stainless bump plate while I waited.

There is a small cut but you can`t see it unless you grovel under, and after having a detachable on my previous Passat I wanted the extra protection of a visible deterrent, as the rear bumper plastics are huge and VERY expensive.

hi, what electrics have they fitted?
i got a car specific set for 100 and can get a fixed swan neck bar for £85.
the removeable towbars are about £160 but then its another £45 for the replacement spoiler thing.
do you have any pics of it fitted to your car?

angus
29-02-2008, 05:43 PM
hi, what electrics have they fitted?
i got a car specific set for 100 and can get a fixed swan neck bar for £85.
the removeable towbars are about £160 but then its another £45 for the replacement spoiler thing.
do you have any pics of it fitted to your car?

I have twin sockets for towing the caravan with a split-charge relay fitted.

I did enquire about the trailer stability system which can allegedly be fitted ( or activated), but the supplying VW dealer had never heard of it, and despite the workshop manager doing a search on his VW computer for `trailer stability`, towing` and other such caravan related issues couldn`t find anything! Having said that, towing 1350kgs, i`ve never felt the need for any further stability system, with the van being solid as a rock.

Unfortunately, I haven`t any photos of the bar in place, and can`t take any as the car is off the road awaiting parts ( see my thread "pop goes another one").:aargh4:

If you need anything else let me know, happy to help if I can.
By the way, the bar was fitted (and manufactured) by EECO at Halifax, took them a couple of hours and a first class installation.

They also fit them for the local VW dealer..........

jeepster1961
29-02-2008, 05:59 PM
hi, i just think that if i have afixed towbar and they cut the bumper that it will spoil th elook of th ecar if i sel the car later.

did they cut the spoiler or just the bumber on yours.

whats it like to tow with, my van weights about 1450 loaded.

PNS2007
29-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Jeepster1961, please see my original post under:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8148

There are some photos of my car in this link. Believe me go for a good one and pay that little bit extra. I know of several people who have had their towbars fitted by non-VW garages and problems have arisen with the complex wiring. At least if VW fit it you are covered 100% by VW warrenty.

Angus may say that his dealer has never heard of the trailer stability but google it you will find plenty of info. If the cars designed to have it then use it, also if it is not activated in the cars ecu you don't know what the handling will be like without it should you are ever be unlucky enough to need it.

Don't have the bumper cut, buy the valence. You get a nice tidy bumper with a designated flap which is easy to remove. My car had the vortex spoiler fitted and it took me ages to decide to have a new one fitted at £300. My dealer sprayed it for free though. Looks brilliant and doesn't spoil the back end. Also the westfalia towbar (supplied by VW) fits nicely in the designated holder in the boot by the spare wheel.

Any further info needed let me know.

Also look at some of the postings by golfmk5gttdi he has some good info

jeepster1961
29-02-2008, 10:36 PM
hi, i read your post before posting mine.

yours looks like a really nice job, i have already bought the wiring kit its car specific and i wil take it to the dealers to get the esp activated.

what i am asking is -
if i have a fixed towbar will they need to cut the rear bumper or the valance / spoiler. obviously if i sell the car on it may be more difficult to sell with a big chunk out of the bumper.

my car is an es and doesnt thave parking sensors so i wont need to remove the towbar when not in use.

to be honest I am an IT contractor and travel all over the uk, meaning I have to park all over the uk.
because of this having a fixed towbar protecting my cars nice rear end is a good idea.

PNS2007
29-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm no expert, but from my experience all the towbars I looked at both fixed and detachable had to have some part of the lower valence removed/cut.

IMHO if you are having a fixed one then it doesn't really matter if its cut, it will be a tidy job provided its done by a professional. If you remove the tow bar afterwards, for the sake of £50 you can buy a new valence. If you chose this route though make sure you get the rear strengthening bar (which is removed from the chasis) which will need to be replaced afterwards.

(By the way I'm not saying that £50 is a negligable sum to waste - just that it may be less than the offer given for the car because of the tow bar. Towbars do put some people off!!)

angus
01-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi Jeepster1961, please see my original post under:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8148

There are some photos of my car in this link. Believe me go for a good one and pay that little bit extra. I know of several people who have had their towbars fitted by non-VW garages and problems have arisen with the complex wiring. At least if VW fit it you are covered 100% by VW warrenty.

Angus may say that his dealer has never heard of the trailer stability but google it you will find plenty of info. If the cars designed to have it then use it, also if it is not activated in the cars ecu you don't know what the handling will be like without it should you are ever be unlucky enough to need it.

Don't have the bumper cut, buy the valence. You get a nice tidy bumper with a designated flap which is easy to remove. My car had the vortex spoiler fitted and it took me ages to decide to have a new one fitted at £300. My dealer sprayed it for free though. Looks brilliant and doesn't spoil the back end. Also the westfalia towbar (supplied by VW) fits nicely in the designated holder in the boot by the spare wheel.

Any further info needed let me know.

Also look at some of the postings by golfmk5gttdi he has some good info

Its not a question of me "SAYING" the dealer didn`t know anything about it, it`s a fact.

As mine is a Company car, the towbar installation is paid for in full by the Company. Had the stability option been available it would have been actuated - and paid for - by the Company, so I would have taken advantage of it.
I just didn`t see the point of booking it in through the dealer, who would then have had the same bar fitted by the same personnel but charge me (or my employer) over £600.00 for the priviledge of a VW invoice.

In the same way that as soon as the car is out of warranty I use a local garage with the appropriate equipment and soft/hardware to maintain the car, where is done cheaper and to at least as high a standard.

jeepster1961
01-03-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm no expert, but from my experience all the towbars I looked at both fixed and detachable had to have some part of the lower valence removed/cut.

IMHO if you are having a fixed one then it doesn't really matter if its cut, it will be a tidy job provided its done by a professional. If you remove the tow bar afterwards, for the sake of £50 you can buy a new valence. If you chose this route though make sure you get the rear strengthening bar (which is removed from the chasis) which will need to be replaced afterwards.

(By the way I'm not saying that £50 is a negligable sum to waste - just that it may be less than the offer given for the car because of the tow bar. Towbars do put some people off!!)

hi there, i dont mind if i have a fixed or removeable towbar, i wasnt sure if a fixed one meant a bumper cut rather than a valance cut. obviously a bumper cut would cost more than just 50 to put right.

Thanks for the input, its much appreciated. i put a deposit on the car on tuesday and it being delivered to me next week, hence i cant have a look under the car to have a look myself.

what do you think of the passat, i needed a heavy towcar and this came in at a very good price. do you do a lot of towing with yours?

PNS2007
01-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Angus - "Its not a question of me "SAYING" the dealer didn`t know anything about it, it`s a fact."

You did say in your post that the VW dealer had never heard of it, I was commenting on what you had posted - No negative mark intended.

And as for your supplying dealer not to of heard of TSP, this is appalling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I paid over 20K for my car and it is mine so I care ALOT about what and how things are done to it. I'm not saying that you don't with yours but at the end of the day you can hand it back and walk away no matter what the depreciation. The fitting of a towbar to some will put them off buying a car, and the fist thing my vw dealer said to me when I px'd my mk5 Golf was that the tow bar had to go (as part of the deal he gave me it back and I flogged it on e-bay).

TSP - I'm no technician, and think there is still debate on the subject (if anyone knows the true answer then post it please) but a car with ESP activated is designed for the car only and not nearly 1400 KGs on the back. Some advise that ESP is switched off when towing, others say leave it on. I personally don't want to take the chance with all my family in the car thats why I used a VW garage and had it set up correctly as the car was designed for - and yes it wasn't cheap - but you may end up getting what you paid for?

I went around all my local independant tow bar fitters and the price was not much cheaper than I paid with VW and although you get a warrenty from the tow bar fitters, it may only be for 12 months and if something goes wrong you have the up hill job and possibility of dealing with two companies neither of whom will talke the responsibility for what may be perceived as the others fault. The computer electronics and wiring are getting quite complex now otherwise I would have fitted it myself like I have done on a few of my older cars. Also I think that if an item is dealer fit it will enjoy the remaining term of the 3 year vehicle warrenty.

Jeepster1961 - a bumper cut will not cost more than £50 to put right. The lower valence would be the only part which is cut and this can be bought from a VW supplier for between £45-50 (a bit less if you haggle for some discount) and it clips into the bottom of the bumper. I haven't replaced this on the passat but I did on my mk5 Golf and if you search the forum I think golfmk5gttdi did a thread on replacing his and it is near enough the same.

As for towing, the car is very good. I have the 170BHP 2ltr TDI so it may be difficult to compare with yours, but its stable, economical and comfortable with plenty of torgue. On the motorway I put it into 6th gear and thats it. I do wander over the speed limit though so am considering have cruise control fitted. I have towed several times to Cornwall, Dorset and Wales with no problems. I nearly bought a 4X4 but glad I didn't now.

This forum is great for getting information and sharing experiences/opinions

jeepster1961
01-03-2008, 03:55 PM
hi, thanks for the info, as i say i viewed the car at the dealers but i didnt have a good look at the valance / rear bumper to check what bit i would need to cut to fit the towbar.

cars being delivered end of next week and i will fit the towbar and electrics next weekend weather permitting.
i will take a few pics to help anyone.

hoping to go away for a few days friday 14th so need to get it done by then anyhow.

thanks for all the help

cappuccino
17-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi Jeepster, I am the one who bought your towbar --its now on the car and looks great !!!!

Geoff Oldfield
22-08-2008, 04:34 PM
In the same way that as soon as the car is out of warranty I use a local garage with the appropriate equipment and soft/hardware to maintain the car, where is done cheaper and to at least as high a standard.

Just for information, so long as your service centre is reputable and use genuine recepted VW parts, your warranty will be honoured by VW even though the vehicle is not serviced by a bona fide VW dealer. That way you get to cut your servicing costs (almost in half has been my experience) yet still have the comfort of knowing you are covered by the manufacturers warranty

Geoff