PDA

View Full Version : 3 beeps from the dash board

Bluesky2004sky
29-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I have a problem with my Audi100 1993 2.0 un-leadded. I only have it a few months. But the 3 beeps is driving me nuts. Some times it wont beep for maybey 10 miles. Other times I get 100 yeards and it starts. It can do 3 beeps and stop or repeat the 3 again. It used to light up the oil lite at the same time, but now its just beeping with no warning lights. There oil level is always ok. The rev counter is intermitant also.

Could it be a bunch of bad solder joints at the back of the dash cluster or bad/dirty/disconnected sensors oil/break/coolant.

Any help apreaciated.
Mike

Dannorman
04-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi mate,
sorry no answer for your beeping problem from me. i got the same problem too, mine come up and give me brake pad warning lamps and lamp blown indication but this is not the case. I have found if you press the right hand button in while turning on the ignition you grt a '53' coming up on the display but what this means or how to proceed from here I don't know.. Somebody help us please before we go completely insane....:o

'94 100 Avant 2.5TDI -running mostly veg oil, cellulose thinners and diesel mix, with a splash of acetone

'82 Coupe GT 5S - likes 98 octane with a splash!:D

'94 Saab 9000 2.3TurboCDEcopower- whatever it is given.

Andy10v
06-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Just an idea but try checking the oil pressure sender/wiring as i had the same problem in my 90 and it turned out to just be a broken wire in the sender boot which was causing the problem.

Hope this helps, also have you checked the autocheck system by pushin the button on the dash like was sugggested above?

Bluesky2004sky
06-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi Andy, Thanks for the tips.

I had looked around the oil filter department before and go a bit conused before. There were 2 single wires going to sensors near the oil filter with rubber boots over the connections. There was a 3rd sensor tab, connected to nothing. I found no loose wire. I'll play around with theses on the weekend, hopeing to find a bad connection, maybe a wire got connected to a wrong tab? Would 2 wires be correct? 1 for pressure 1 for temprature, maybe.

I couldnt find what the reference to "autocheck system by pushin the button" was, but it sounds like a button I need to find out about. Could you please post the link or the info?

neil w
08-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Not sure if the audi is exactly the same but I had a VW that had a dodgy low pressure bleeper and it was a pain in the a**e. It was the actual unit in the rear of the instrument cluster that is at fault, I got a s/hand panel and swap it out.

Bluesky2004sky
10-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the tip Neil. I'm sure its the same beeper in my dash. hopefully I dont have to replace the dash.
I think I may be on to some thing with my 100. There is 1 wire going to the oil pressure sensor at the bottom of the oil filter. Then there seem to be 2x coolant sensors, only 1 has a wire (Black with blue stripe) connected, the other spade tab is left unconnectd. I couldnt find any trace of the missing wire, the wireing loom is tidy looking.
The latest theory: The hi rev (>2000rpm) coolant sensor is not connected, causing the beeps when driving on.
Any one out there know if the 2nd coolant sensor should have a wire going to it? The 2x sensors are above the oil filter area.

Bluesky2004sky
11-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Anyone out there with a Audi100 2.0E from around the 1994 years and fancy looking under the hood and checking if a wire goes to both your coolant sensors? See image of my engine bay, pink circle where I think a wire should go for the hi rev coolant sensor. I think the wire marked with the blue dod is the low rev coolant sensor. http://www.flickr.com/photos/24656504@N08/2326413629/
Cheers, Mike
Check photo on http://www.flickr.com/photos/24656504@N08/2326413629/

transeuro98
26-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi my 94 ABK is blanked off with a factory plug i.e no sensor or wire ive had it 9 years so its as standard . I think the autocheck probs come from a dry solder joint in the clocks mine has done it for years never sorted it! hope this helps.

Bluesky2004sky
01-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks for checking the plug/socket. Thats another theory knocked out of the way. I've heard abou the solder joints giving trouble. before I go and take the dash out I'm going to try this mechanic just reciently found that seem to know the Audi electrics inside out. I'll be taking it in to him in the next few weeks. I'll let you know the conclusion. I'd like to fix it rather than snip the buzzer out.

Sledge
01-04-2008, 05:18 PM
[COLOR="Blue"][/Hiya,
I got a 1992 2.3 Avant which does exactly the same. The beeps are periodic but the brake linning and bulb lights seem to stay on all the time. I just turn the stereo up and that seems to cure the annoying beeps.
All the best and I hope you find a cure, SledgeCOLOR]

Bluesky2004sky
30-04-2008, 05:35 PM
I found a new garage guy that knows the Audis well. He fixed...* the central locking (replaced micro switch in drivers door), *found a ripped air intake hose (engine used to hunt/shudder at low revs), *replaces a burst coolant hose (the reason for the visit in the 1st place, its the 2nd hose that blew in the last few months, he reckons 14 year old, they could be just on the way out), *he fixed the jumping/not_working rev counter (I don’t know how this was fixed, I'll ask next time I see him). He replaced the oil pressure sensor (it was cheap and worth a chance). He reckons I should change the thermostat. I'll get that done the next visit.
I found 1 of the reverse lights wasn’t working and the connector was all rusted, the one on the side of the key hole. I wrapped the wire back and got that working.
Anyway, with all the above done, it still beeps, but way less, maybe no beep for 4 days and then maybe 3 or 4 sets of 3 beeps on a spin. I can live with that. Maybe with the thermostat changed (next service) it will beep even less.
He also said it would be a nightmare getting the dash out, it could be done, but would take a days labor and will not go back in perfectly.
So I’m going to drive on until the next oil change and see how it goes……
Last tip: He said change the oil/filter every 6000 miles if you want the car to last for ever :beerchug:

mcleodbz
07-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I had similar problems on my 93 Avant TDI. The autocheck bulb out warning came on regularly, as well as intermittent loud beeps, even though all bulbs worked ok.

Despite trying several fixes suggested on other forums, the problem persisted. It was very annoying, and as there was no obvious fault apart from with autocheck itself I decided to do the following:

Removed the instrument cluster, and took out the amber warning bulb, and removed the speaker for the beep. Pretty easy to do - probably took about 30-60 minutes to do.

This solved the annnoying problem. The only drawback is that I now dont have any of the amber warnings, e.g. low fuel/washer fluid.

Bluesky2004sky
08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
It took me awhile to fix my (Audi 100 1993 2.0E) 3x beeps, but I fixed it in the end. I had my mechanic take out the cluster, I was afraid I'd smash the clips taking it out, I probably would have as it's in so tight.
Anyway my oil bulb was blown, I replaced that and I reflowed all the solder joints on the large conector blocks (use a nice light iron for electronic circuits). When I pluged it back in it behaved its self, its been good for months now. Re fitting the cluster was easy, I drove round with it out and with it hanging on by the wires for a few week, the car goes no prob without the cluster. I'm glad I didn't snip the buzzer now as I'm forever leaving on the lights, without the buzzer I'd have a flat batery every week.
Good Luck,
Mike