PDA

View Full Version : GT TDI tuning help

Pigdog
21-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi and Help for tuning my GT TDI
Hi all
Please excuse me as I'm sure this question must have been discussed a million times before but...
I've just purchased a 2000 Golf GT TDI 115 and while I love the drive it's not quite up to my (sadly about to depart) VR6.
I've been looking at chip re-mapping but the choise out there is vast! The power gains look fantastic but how is reliability and engine life affected? Can a re-map trash your engine, transmission, cv joints etc? Is 165bhp too much for the golf to handle? Arrrgh so many questions......

At the moment I'm looking at angel tuning to do the re-map, does anyone have any experience of their service and product?

Or any other good companies in Yorkshire?

Cheers, any advice much appreciated!

Marc97
21-11-2006, 03:32 PM
I have trawled another forum which seems to think that 150ish is fine for the trans and shafts etc. Your engine will probably not be affected any differently than if you didn't have the chip, ie. if it breaks, it probably would have broken anyway, its all down to how you treat it!
The only suggestion is that you might find you have some clutch slippage for which an uprated clutch is the solution.
I don't have any experience of any tuners but you could try asking p-torque.co.uk in the Tuning & Performance forum what he could do for you.

adamss24
21-11-2006, 08:12 PM
I would search PSI Motorsport website for one off their tuning boxes for the PD, they are brilliant but verry expensive compared with the competition but you get what you pay- high qualitty chip and not a cheap resistor off ebay. Regarding the engine, vw engines they overbuilt anyway so they will take some abuse, beffore things break ! Use high quality synthetic oils and genuine filters and it will last. Your clutch will beggin to slip soon so upgrading to a VR6 clutch and single mass flywhell will be wise. And why you went for the entry level PD when you could have the PD 150 and then you would not MISS your VR6 anymore and no matter how much you boot it it still returns better Mpg. I have seen many vr6 seeing the tailgate off mildly tuned TDI !

Marc97
21-11-2006, 08:26 PM
I have seen many vr6 seeing the tailgate off mildly tuned TDI !

Could that be acheived with my non pd 80 after tuning?

I'll start a new thread in the 80 forum, asking what the tuning options are for a 90hp TDi.

Cheers.

adamss24
21-11-2006, 08:49 PM
With major work yor engine could put about 150-170 Bhp but it s not worth it due to cost. You better off starting with a stronger, more powerfull engine as a base like the entry level pd or pd 130(only minor changes in hardware and bassically the same underneath) or you could go for the full blown pd tdi in the limited gold or seat ibiza cupra. That pushes 210 ponnyes trough the front wheels. I will like that engine on a quattro a4 or a 4motion platform to put all that power to the ground without using any electronic trickery(ABS,EDS, ESP and such !) but it will be a bit slower due to extra weight. I wish you drive an old b5 2.5 Tdi quatro 6 speed in the rain on twisty roads and you will understand what relaxing is or rather sporty when needed. All that power on the road with a torsen differential and maintenance free !

james0808
21-11-2006, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't go near a tuning box,you can get a proper remap for £250.I got 175 bhp from 130bhp.You wont get 165 out of yours with just a remap more like 150.

Marc97
21-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Cheers Adam, I get wheelspin with my 90hp. I was hoping to get it to around 130hp for about £200-£300. I will try your suggestion for getting my small problem fixed first then worry about tuning after that.
Thanks mate, you're a gem.

devonutopia
21-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Standard 115 setup - 150bhp fine
uprated exhaust - 155bhp OK
front mount IC - 160 ok, but allows for much harsher tuning in the future.
uprated clutch will allow you to push toward 200+ with no reliability worries
Bigger turbo can give anything from 200+ to almost 300

At the moment, my Fabia has a mild uprated turbo, front mount, straight exhaust, lpg injection, and some other power bits, and a remap for 220bhp / 360 lb/ft. It is an awesome level of power, but I made sure I got the clutch in there (400 lb/ft kevlar) so I can push for more power later, and also 312mm brakes from an Audi TT, so I can stop better from my much higher speeds. ;)

Tuning on any car is practically endless. I've only got a couple of things planned for mine now (turbo and camshaft) for 270bhp all being well.

james0808
21-11-2006, 09:17 PM
What about fuelling,can the standard 115 set up fuel enough for 200+bhp?

adamss24
21-11-2006, 09:36 PM
A remap its fine if you plan to hold onto the car for a long time and wont mind reverting back to standard everytime you visit the dealer or decide to sell it. On the other hand a good quality chip will provide slightly less horse power/torque due to the fact it has to be tunned to do fine with different engines but it still set up to optimum for what can be expected from a healty engine. Tuning boxes are often designed to increase the pump IQ and its beneficial for mildly tunned cars with upgraded nozzles. The good side of it is that they are easy to remove and still retain somme retail value if sold(unless a remap !) . Standard nozzles cannot fuel 200 Bhp on the pd 115 without increasing the pump pressure/and advancing timing. Get PD 150 nozzles(or send a PM to Kerma Tdi on www.tdiforum.com andhe may be able to advice you for more tunning options:bigger turbo, FmIC, etc.

devonutopia
21-11-2006, 11:51 PM
What about fuelling,can the standard 115 set up fuel enough for 200+bhp?

That's a good point. I was kind of going along the lines the injectors were OK, but if they're the same ones as in the pd100, they'll need uprating. Rather than swap to pd130 oem ones, I would go the whole hog and go for the pd race injectors. Quite expensive at about £800 on exchange, but will provide that ooomph. I'm sticking with my pd130 injectors, as I believe they, on top of the propane injection system, provide me enough fuel to be able to push for lots more power.

Pigdog
22-11-2006, 09:40 AM

Pigdog
22-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all your help guys it's good to get some sound unbiased advice! I think my best bet is just a re-map and clutch if necessary as I've got to stick to a sensible budget. On that note, roughly how much would I be looking at for an uprated clutch? And do dealers always restor factory settings when the car is serviced? So I'd need a tuner that guarantees to restore the re-map if needed.....

ps I would have loved a pd 150 but after a couple of months looking my 115 was the cleanest and best I found within my budget. It was that or a non pd 110!

Cheers again

devonutopia
23-11-2006, 12:49 AM
budgets suck. :approve:

Must admit I got a good loan out to do my pd130 conversion, and I didn't feel tight. Now I do, and I want some serious tuning hardware in the new year. doh! :1zhelp:

colly
13-02-2007, 09:53 PM
i take it tuning boxes raise the pressure of the fuel been delivered? does this not cause injector seals, and fuel pump seal problems? or are they ok? i have one on my bora, will it make a 115 run at 145?

S2AVANT
14-02-2007, 09:06 AM
ps I would have loved a pd 150 but after a couple of months looking my 115 was the cleanest and best I found within my budget. It was that or a non pd 110!
I like my non pd 110.
It runs on chip fat :biglaugh:

AudiSport
14-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I used to have a 2000V Golf GT TDi 110. (Pre PD engine). The previous owner had the car remapped to 146bhp - and it was an AMAZING drive. Still to this day I miss it! The bottom end touque was very useable and although a little slippy in the wet - you soon learn how to drive it.

It still returned 48-MPG (average) on my 12-mile trip home from work, and all in all couldn't fault it. I still have the reciept of about £450 for the remap, and if I still owned a diesel, I would be getting a re-map!

Good luck with it.:biglaugh:

nufc
21-12-2008, 12:12 PM
hi sorry if been asked before but what is the best way to achieve about 180+ bhp in my gt tdi 150..have already thought of remap and hdi chip and was wondering if the standard turbo couldbe replaced or tinkerd with?
any coments thanks

motechmike
21-12-2008, 09:19 PM
hi sorry if been asked before but what is the best way to achieve about 180+ bhp in my gt tdi 150..have already thought of remap and hdi chip and was wondering if the standard turbo couldbe replaced or tinkerd with?
any coments thanks

Just a re- map on the PD 150's take it too 185-190 hp if its a good map and the car is a good one...

motechmike
21-12-2008, 09:21 PM
As for the PD 115 they make a good 145 after a re-map.. ok its 5hp down on a 150 bit how it drive will bue much impoved over the stock car..

if you can only het a 110 they still map up nice , should see 140 ish from them.. On and they go on forever...

Were still running the offer of all re-maps for £250

Thanks Mike