PDA

View Full Version : DSG, would you go back to manual?

masonj
28-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Just wondering how many DSG owners would ever go back to manual?

Phil Mcavity
28-02-2008, 09:31 PM
no chance, had a mk5 GTi dsg, passat with dsg, and my new GTi has dsg too. Manual is too much hard work!

gazza007
28-02-2008, 11:55 PM
No way, best transmission I've ever driven, sold the car to me.

Mav2006
29-02-2008, 04:19 PM
No way, best transmission I've ever driven, sold the car to me.

I haven't driven one. However, I tend to skip gears both on the way up and down the box. I don't believe you can do this with DSG? Or am I wrong.

Also is the DSG quite a bit heavier?? making the car slower?

Interested in a MK VI GTI thinking about DSG but bothered about the above

gazza007
29-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I haven't driven one. However, I tend to skip gears both on the way up and down the box. I don't believe you can do this with DSG? Or am I wrong.

No you cant skip, but no real need to, you can up/down shift early in trip mode or lightly lift in full auto, the box I believe has some kind of fuzzy logic too, so it will adapt to your style.

22kg heavier but 0-62 identical, top speed 2 mph slower, these figs apply to both 140 & 170. In real terms I think you would find in acceleration that the DSG would have the edge as it is that quick and hardly noticeable.

I had on hire just after getting my Passat an Audi A4 sportline with the 140 Diesel & 7 speed CVT auto.
Lovely car but not a patch on the performance of the DSG.
Incidently the DSG is on the Bugatti Veyron in a 7 speed version, apparently it took VW 5 years & 50 engineers to perfect the DSG box.

Nissan have even developed their own version for the new GTR (Skyline)

Give it a try, I don't think you will regret it, let us know how you get on.
I know it was a premium price wise but I would find it hard to go back to a manual or other kind of auto. The big plus for me is the almost identical mpg against the manual. I have even tried comparing mpg in manual mode and to be honest the Auto knows best and produces slightly better figs.

Mav2006
29-02-2008, 06:37 PM
[quote=gazza007;138550]No you cant skip, but no real need to, you can up/down shift early in trip mode or lightly lift in full auto, the box I believe has some kind of fuzzy logic too, so it will adapt to your style.

I'm not sure about shifting early.

How does it work coming off motorway slip in 6th going up to junction and wanting to select 2nd. Do you need to down shift 4times?

adamss24
29-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Just wondering how many DSG owners would ever go back to manual?
As soon as the thing breakes down and will cost thousands to repair ! I would rather replace a £300 clutch on a manual gearbox than overhaul an DSG !

masonj
29-02-2008, 07:46 PM
[quote=gazza007;138550]No you cant skip, but no real need to, you can up/down shift early in trip mode or lightly lift in full auto, the box I believe has some kind of fuzzy logic too, so it will adapt to your style.

I'm not sure about shifting early.

How does it work coming off motorway slip in 6th going up to junction and wanting to select 2nd. Do you need to down shift 4times?

Well, if you are in 'manual' mode and don't change down the box will change down for you to avoid a stall. Going from 6th to 2nd, unless you are breaking hard, would not be allowed as it would over rev the engine.

If you are in auto mode the box changes down smoothly as you would expect. But remember that no auto box can anticipate the traffic conditions ahead.

Anyway to answer your question, if the change from 6th to 2nd would not cause engine damage the box will change a quick as you can nudge the lever back 4 times. It's a sequenchal change you see.

masonj
29-02-2008, 07:49 PM

I seem to recall that the GTI is quickerr 0-60 with a DSG than a manual. I drove one once and it was a blast!

The thing with a DSG is that it can change gear inhumanly quickly so there is no noticable pause in the acceleration when you floor it.

masonj
29-02-2008, 07:53 PM
As soon as the thing breakes down and will cost thousands to repair ! I would rather replace a £300 clutch on a manual gearbox than overhaul an DSG !

Many people keep a car 3 years from new and then change again so you have the warranty to fall back on. However, for an older car that has not had the transmission oil and filter change every 40,000 I would also probably go with a manual.

I'm told that the DSG, Miltitronic and Tiptronic all don't take kindly to not having the required oil changes.

masonj
29-02-2008, 07:59 PM
I had on hire just after getting my Passat an Audi A4 sportline with the 140 Diesel & 7 speed CVT auto.
Lovely car but not a patch on the performance of the DSG.
Incidently the DSG is on the Bugatti Veyron in a 7 speed version, apparently it took VW 5 years & 50 engineers to perfect the DSG box.

Interesting point on the CVT Multitronic, I currently have a Passat 140 TDI SE DSG and have a A6 2.7 TDI Multitronic on order. When I test drove the A6 it was a slightly strange sensation in auto but one I got used to with a few miles. In 'manual' the changes were, as far as I could tell, instant when I operated the padles.

Just hope I have not made a mistake with the new A6 but have certainly gone with a DSG if one was available.

Quatrelle
29-02-2008, 09:14 PM
I seem to recall that the GTI is quickerr 0-60 with a DSG than a manual. I drove one once and it was a blast!

The thing with a DSG is that it can change gear inhumanly quickly so there is no noticable pause in the acceleration when you floor it.VW quote identical 0-60mph figures for the Passat. I tested a 170 DSG when I bought my Passat, but although it was, as you say, seamless (and very impressive), I didn't feel that I could justify the extra cost - where I live I don't have to change gear very often. imo it's better than a manual, but don't know about longevity.

masonj
29-02-2008, 09:45 PM
VW quote identical 0-60mph figures for the Passat. I tested a 170 DSG when I bought my Passat, but although it was, as you say, seamless (and very impressive), I didn't feel that I could justify the extra cost - where I live I don't have to change gear very often. imo it's better than a manual, but don't know about longevity.

I agree its not cheap, I have covered 43000 miles and no problems at all, touch wood!

gazza007
01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
VW quote identical 0-60mph figures for the Passat. I tested a 170 DSG when I bought my Passat, but although it was, as you say, seamless (and very impressive), I didn't feel that I could justify the extra cost - where I live I don't have to change gear very often. imo it's better than a manual, but don't know about longevity.

That is why I think buying a 12 month old car makes so much sense these days, the car is still very new and most of the depreciation has gone. You are also left with a decent warranty.

Kaiser2000
01-03-2008, 03:17 PM
I have a B5 Auto Passat at the moment (my third automatic overall) and can't ever see myself going back to a manual.

How does this new DSG box compare with the B5 setup? My TDI 130 has a noticeable lag during the kickdown change which can be a slight issue when overtaking at speed. Has the new box (probably going for a SE DSG 140) improved on this?

gazza007
01-03-2008, 04:14 PM
How does this new DSG box compare with the B5 setup? My TDI 130 has a noticeable lag during the kickdown change which can be a slight issue when overtaking at speed. Has the new box (probably going for a SE DSG 140) improved on this?

Very occasionally you get a very tiny bit of lag if the box had been expecting a higher gear as this will have already been pre-engaged but nothing like normal auto's due to speed of DSG.

forge197
03-03-2008, 10:30 PM
The DSG suites the 170 TDI well, I wouldn't want a manual Passat but I will make sure it's serviced at the right times though, as I'd imagine it's expensive if it breaks!!

orangezorki
04-03-2008, 02:56 PM
So far, I have only positive things to say about the DSG. It erases many, if not all of the power and fuel sapping concerns of an auto box while being as easy to drive. The only thing to get used to is that this is still a manual box technically, and so does provide some engine braking which I'd almost forgotten about. When slowing down to a stop, I have felt it occasionally changing down and giving an extra bit of tourque when not desired. However, I specified a solution to that - Paddle shifters!

David.

arctic blue
10-03-2008, 03:02 AM
dsg overall brilliant, seems more economical when you do the changes yourself, all the same its a great auto box. only thing i noticed, it sometimes gets confused in auto mode going between 1 and 2 and then back to 1 at slow speed. apart from that i'm well impressed , this is my 2nd.
had touran first. when in cruise set at say, 60 , then you brake , thus temporarily cancelling cruise, when you press reset the touran sped back up to set speed. the passat takes a leisurely stroll back to set speed.
different models different set up i suppose. still i'm not complaining. passsat is a joy to drive, i'm well happy