PDA

View Full Version : Audi Cabriolet roof not retracting

popmandy
28-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi there, can anyone help me please. I have had a new battery fitted to my adui cabriolet and since doing this the roof isint working. I have been told its a really simple thing just needs resetting does anyone know how to do this? Thanks mandy

kaz_219
09-03-2008, 08:05 PM
On my golf, to reset it, i just took the battery off for 30 mins and then connected it and turned the key 1 step forward so the ligths came on the dash then you hear a wining noise.
On my golf, thats the car realigning the thorttle body...

Then you just drop the windows to the lowest point (you have to choose this yourself) and in theory, the roof should go down too...

As i said, this was on my Mk4 Golf so it might work on your audi..but the other way to reset it is via a laptop and cable thing...Audi should do it for around £40.

Also, you my as well check the fuse before you do any of this...that could have blown.

Good luckkk

Sandokan
16-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Lucky the roof is up and not down ;-)

The only time I had the same issue, after checking pumps, fluid levels, pistons, etc ... it turned out to be something much simplier ...

Engine off, handbrake on, boot and all doors closed and in neutral ... release the roof catch and try to open the electric roof ... what happens?

* Do all of the windows drop? If yes, then there does not appear to be an issue with the basic electrics of the roof.
* Does the safety light flash and nothing happen? If yes, then it could be that one of the safety mechanisms needs checking.

There are two main safety mechanisms for the roof. The first is the handbrake ... if its not engaged ... then the roof will not move.

The second is the boot. If the boot is open the roof will not move. This is where I found my issue. The boot latch, not on the boot but on the car, had come loose. The boot still closed, but the latch being loose was causing the safety system to think the boot was open. Had to have a new latch fitted, which fixed the issue.

BTW, if you get your handbrake set so the first click effectively does nothing, you can still open/close the roof when pulling out of parking spaces etc. However, if you move too much, it seems there is some form of motion sensor that stops the roof ... and you have to stop, put the car in neutral and release the swtich to get it moving again. But its quite convenient to be reversing out and opening the roof simultaneously sometimes ;-)

tommivercetti
11-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Hi guys I have a 98 Audi Cabriolet with similar issues??!!!
Its very frustrating !!!
The windows on my cab drop when you press the roof button, but nothing else after this point?
I have checked the handbreak, it clicks up at least 2 notches.... As for the boot lid, the latch on the vehicle and the lid seem fine??!
Any ideas guys?!!

Many thanks,

M.