PDA

View Full Version : A4 2.8 plug leads

ajsphead
28-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Following on from my posting about the fuel consumption and misfire on my A4, I bought a new set of Magnecor leads. Well, anyone wanting to buy a set for a V6 might want to know the fun :zx11:. I've had. Ordered on line by engine code from europerformance - really helpful. Leads arrived, and they are all the wrong length with the wrong plug sockets on. Checked the magnecor online catalogue, which is identical to the europerformance one, as you'd expect. Closer inspection of the magnecor catalogue revealed a catalogue of errors (sorry). ABC and AAH engines listed as 24 valve. My ACK engine listed as 24 valve, but with the same plug order code as the 2 12 valve units. ABC, AAH and ACK engines listed for the A4 95 - 2000. To my knowledge the AAH was never fitted to the A4. A listing for the 30 valve only for the A6 with just the ALG code.

Spoke to the MD of Magnecor who was less than helpful. Told me I'd ordered the wrong set of leads - well I think I'd already worked that out. Told me I shouldn't have ordered anything with 24valve on the catalogue, if I knew there was never a 24v version of the engine, not counting the new 2.8 FSI. I don't know how someone with less knowledge about the configuration of Audi V6 engines would be able to make that decision considering whoever informed him obviously didn't know. Don't know how he would expect to sell any leads on that basis. Sometimes there are small typos in catalogues, that's why they say E & OE in the small print, so reckoning the engine code was right, and this was a typo, I thought it was a reasonably safe bet.

Apparently, according to the MD, I should have phoned Europerformance, and Magnecor, to check that this was right. If I'd given them the engine code they would have confirmed what I already knew, and sent me the wrong leads, so I'm not sure how this works, particularly as they don't list any A4 with a 30 valve engine. If I'd told them A4 2.8 V6 1997, they would have still sent the wrong leads.

Anyway, the bloke told me that europerformance's catalogue must be wrong, but it agrees exactly with theirs. Perhaps I should have realised in my crystal ball that the ones I wanted were only listed for an A6 with a different engine code. Crystal ball ... crystal bo...cks more like. He had what I would regard as a bad attitude, and I think pretty rude too. What a shame he wasn't willing to listen, as I would have happily explained about the engine codes to him.

I shall get some different leads, any suggestions - have used splitfire in the past, but am willing to try the best available, so long as it's not Magnecor.

ajs

audi80mk4
04-09-2013, 05:52 PM
You may not remember five years on, but what leads did you end up with / do you prefer now ? I've been tempted by Marnecor, but your tale is not encouraging, and neither is the price, even if my friendly local VW dealer did quote me £67 just for plug leads (not coil) for my 2001 Golf Cabrio.