PDA

View Full Version : vw t5 ramap

dryroasted
27-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I am new to the forum, and hope someone can give me some advice.

I had my vw t5 130 ramapped yesterday, and there seems to be a strange noise under load when the turbo cuts in. It happens more in the higher gears with the most load, and it's kind of a pulsating noise it's hard to explain.

It is ok on no load or full load, it's just in between where this noise happens. It's ok around town, but quite noticable on motorway etc..

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas? or do they all do this?

I know its a bit vague, but thought someone may have experienced the same problem :Blush:

Cheers,

Dave

spada573
01-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I had my t28 174 remapped last year and straight away i noticed what i think is the same problem( although i am sure it is not a problem).

Under a hard load i noticed what i can only describe as waffling type noise coming from the turbo. I was told that the remap alters the variable vane turbo and this is one of the effects. Done 20k+ miles since and noticed no ill effects at all.

The effect on the performance brings a grin every time i get in the van. It was fast before but now, at 210 horse it leaves most cars dead on hills. The look on car drivers faces has to be seen to believe. Let me know how you got on with your 130 please.

Cheers, Spada573.

dryroasted
03-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks spada573,

I have been on to them, and they said they can change the program to take some of the torque off low down in the rev range but not sure if it will fix the problem or not.

They don't seem too concerned about the noise, but I've picked up on it and maybe reading into it more than I should.

Just concerned about my warranty etc when it goes in for a service.

Who did your remap?

spada573
03-03-2008, 08:30 PM
My remap was done by ccc technology, chesterfield. Great service and value. I am just about to replace my 174 but not sure whether to get another or have a look at the new MB Vito 120 with the 3litre v6 204hp. I know it will be faster than my remapped 174 but i am a little wary about the fuel consumption. (Anyone have any details?)
Going back to the noise, it sounds like a fluttering, low resonance and i have no concerns over this regarding performance or reliability.
Try to put it to the back of your mind and enjoy the ride. If you want to discuss this further then carry on posting or PM me.

Spada573.

dryroasted
27-03-2008, 08:52 PM
They have played around with the map, and the noise is still present. It's kind of a fluttering sound of sorts under load.

Looking around other forums, could this be a dv problem fluttering under the increased boost?

Don't want to take it to VW as 2 years left on warranty.

Any advice would appreciated.

davvid
28-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I remap main with Wild Sids Tune Shop Pershore Rd, rolling road before and after, full diagnostic test,,, I am very happy!

sus
05-04-2008, 07:53 PM
had vito sport 204 out on test and it was showing 18 mpg but i was booting it:biglaugh:

spada573
05-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi SUS.

Been looking at a Vito 120 recently with a view to getting one. Will get one to test for three days next week.
My t5 174 was remapped to 210bhp and i am veri impressed with it.
How do you think the 120 will stack up against it?
Good or bad i would love to know.
Cheers.

sus
11-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi SUS.

Been looking at a Vito 120 recently with a view to getting one. Will get one to test for three days next week.
My t5 174 was remapped to 210bhp and i am veri impressed with it.
How do you think the 120 will stack up against it?
Good or bad i would love to know.
Cheers.
the vito is quite a bit smaller in the back (not a problem if you dont use the space) the build quality is not as good as VW, yes it has power but auto only i got fed up of trying to make it fly only to have the electronics spoil my fun, who remaped yours ? power dynamics did my transit sportvan so i might go back to them
for me it would be another T5 rather than a vito 120
i had a vito 115 for a year and it didnt let me down once whereas the transit has let me down 5 times in 7 months so its going on e-bay next week

s21tac
15-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum so hi to everyone, I have a T5 (05) 130 , first of all what would happen to the mpg, bhp etc if I had it remapped and also what would it cost and where would you take it (im in west yorkshire)
Thanks
Tom

Tony M
17-04-2008, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't touch the vito. For a start, it looks too feminine. Alright if you are a hairdresser or a florist. Heard that the fuel consumption is crap too. Watch the Youtube video of the Vito against the Sportline. That should help you make up your mind. Build quality isn't a patch on VW and they rust quickly too.

I drive a Sportline by the way, not that I am biased.