PDA

View Full Version : golf modifications

snypa2k
26-02-2008, 11:15 PM
i just brought a 1.6 golf but it looks abit standard. i wanted to modify it without spending too much and not taking up too much time.

what do you guys think of the following?

i was thinking of:
rear led lights
front blue/purpley lights
6x9 speakers
alpine head unit
alloys
exhaust

any other cheap modifications i can do? and are any of the above costly? (apart from alloys)

vwbora-driver
27-02-2008, 05:08 PM
A good alpine head unit would be costly. For your blue/purple headlights dont just use bulbs if you drive on alot of dark roads as they are completly useless buy a HID conversion kit which arent very costly on ebay. I would lower it instead of putting the led back lights on it

snypa2k
28-02-2008, 07:42 PM
lowering and led dont have the same effect. lowering the car affects the ride comfort a fair bit doesnt it?

gman3.0
28-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I would lower it, have a nice set of rims fitted and a back box, as for the ice i would change the head unit and fit better speakers !
lowering the car can alter the ride and how it handles,but as long as you dont go too mad on the drop its worth it !!

vwbora-driver
29-02-2008, 12:54 AM
I would drop it 35-40mm it doesnt make that much difference in comfort to be honest and it looks alot better too. What size of wheels are you goin to fit?

Gee
29-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Mods to my 1.6:

Fully colour coded (including bumpers and vents)
Anniversary front bumper
Xenon ICE Blue Headlights
18" R32 Alloy Wheels
Euro GTI Rear Clusters
K&N Induction Kit
Custom Full Stainless Steel Exhaust
Debadged Boot

And after the experience, i would'nt recommend it! The asthetic mods are great and i love the look of her but as for exhaust and induction kit or any tuning mods for this engine its really not worth it!

I've spent a fair bit of cash on my beast but looking back i wish i would have saved the money towards a more powerfull engine.

All said and done, all mods are being transferred onto my new car next year so its not all bad!

Oh, and also, if you do get 18" wheels bear in mind that your acceleration will plummet (mine did anyway!) and be prepared to splash out on dropping it as thw wheels make the car stand tall!

Hope i havnt put you off, haha :p

vee-dub-golf
08-03-2008, 07:53 PM
defos lower it, ave got a 1.6 golf aswell & the power is rather crap but speed doesn't really bother me. a would drop it & get 17's or 18's on it maybe get gti rear lights summin like that. as for headunit a good alpine will cost up anything from £130 +.