PDA

View Full Version : Tmc

andysmith2901
26-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Not sure if this has been asked before but did a search of the site and it came back negative.

I have just bought a 2.0TDI S-Line 170 with sat-nav and on both displays I get a blue TMC icon.

I have read in other forums that this function isn't available in the UK but I seem to have it. Sometimes the icon changes from blue to red with a line through which I assume means that there are no RDS radio stations within range.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Cheers.

El Guapo
03-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Not sure if this has been asked before but did a search of the site and it came back negative.

I have just bought a 2.0TDI S-Line 170 with sat-nav and on both displays I get a blue TMC icon.

I have read in other forums that this function isn't available in the UK but I seem to have it. Sometimes the icon changes from blue to red with a line through which I assume means that there are no RDS radio stations within range.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Cheers.

The change in colour is just related to what feature you are using like CD/SAT NAV/PHONE etc. I am awaiting info on this from Audi.

andysmith2901
05-03-2008, 03:53 PM
I think it actually works...............

Was travelling north on the M6 last Friday, the TMC icon was blue without a line through it and I got an announcement that my route was being chaged due to a traffic problem ahead. It was going to divert me through the South Lake District.

A few miles up the motorway before reaching the new turn off point I got another announcement saying the same thing but which put me back on my original route.

Malcolm44
07-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Andy
Your TMC service provider with Audi is Trafficmaster. Their coverage is quite good for the contry, but their broadcasts of the information is in my opinion - rubbish (I live in NE Scotland). They seem to only broadcast the data for Glasgow & Embra, so that means I have to travel 100 miles to get the info for the 40 miles in the other direction to my work!!!:aargh4:. Add to that the sat nav is rather unfriendly because you cant add POI's or get the full postcode address in it is vastly overpriced for what it delivers - yes it does look the mutts in the dash:D
I have just ordered the new A4 but without the sat nav I will get a Navman which uses the ITIS TMC service (that does work here) and be able to use full functionality of postcodes etc.

andysmith2901
07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Malcolm,
Thanks for the info, I wondered why I kept getting the line through the TMC icon. I live in Troon and it only seems to come on and stay when I hit the M74.

The car was an ex demo when I bought it and it came with the Sat-Nav.

Not sure if this is a glitch in the system or me again :o but I have stored a few places in memory and get the following scenario more often than not.

After reaching my destination I press the map button and then the memory button to put my next destination in. It keeps the original destination and adds the next one as a stop-over. I then have to manually delete the original destination and all appears ok.

There doesn't seem to be a function to clear the last destination and so start from a clean sheet as it were.:confused:

Malcolm44
07-03-2008, 02:58 PM
You might have something in your setup preferences that cause that. I have some too and all I do is select destination and then select "Start route guidance" and off it goes.;)

El Guapo
08-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Ok guys I have had a call from Audi Uk on this today. Basically you have to pay to get this feature activated. I will call Audi on Monday to find out how much it is.

Stevieb3
12-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi Guys

You DON'T have to pay for the update to enable the TMC, your Audi Dealer should do this for free, I had mine done a few weeks ago, all they do is a firmware upgrade and give you the latest map CD...

In my opinion TMC is not that good, however the firmware upgrade gives you little features like your on/off button also becomes a mute, or a pause button if you are playing MP3 or CD, also you get a clock display on the SatNav too.

Another fairly good feature is if you have the TP function on it will record all the radio trafiic announcements on the Info screen so you can play them back etc.

Another thing you say is about the TMC icon turning blue, I have not noticed this, all I get is either Red with a line through it (when it's not working) or it goes green whe it is... I must say though TMC is superb in France!! although they have a better info system than our "trafficmaster" lol

El Guapo
13-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi Guys

You DON'T have to pay for the update to enable the TMC, your Audi Dealer should do this for free, I had mine done a few weeks ago, all they do is a firmware upgrade and give you the latest map CD...

In my opinion TMC is not that good, however the firmware upgrade gives you little features like your on/off button also becomes a mute, or a pause button if you are playing MP3 or CD, also you get a clock display on the SatNav too.

Another fairly good feature is if you have the TP function on it will record all the radio trafiic announcements on the Info screen so you can play them back etc.

Another thing you say is about the TMC icon turning blue, I have not noticed this, all I get is either Red with a line through it (when it's not working) or it goes green whe it is... I must say though TMC is superb in France!! although they have a better info system than our "trafficmaster" lol

My car already has these features but the TMC does not appear to work. My Audi dealer said to come in and they would take a look for me.

Crusty
14-03-2008, 06:20 PM
I have a 2.7 TDI A4 and the TMC function has always worked fine since I got the car in November.

El Guapo
14-03-2008, 07:01 PM
I have a 2.7 TDI A4 and the TMC function has always worked fine since I got the car in November.

Where are you in the country? And how do you get it to work? :D

Malcolm44
15-03-2008, 11:35 AM
As I said before, TMC only works in some places if Trafficmaster has an agreement with local FM radio stations. They claim to have 95% coverage of motorways and A roads, but broadcasting the info is a different thing. I find it very annoying that something that looks excellent in your dash as the RNS is severly let down by the 1. Initial price, 2. Lack of user interface as you cannot add POI's, 3 TMC function which is no use in most of the country IMHO. I have ordered a new B8 A4 without sat nav, I will be looking for a way to retrofit another aftermarket sat nav which has the functionality I need into the system. It may not have all the fancy buttons as the factory fit MMI system, but at least it will do as I need and not just look good

cheers

Crusty
15-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Dunno mate, it's just always worked since I've had the car. All traffic updates are displayed with no problems. I live in Essex and the system tells me that Essex FM is the local station relaying the messages. I've not taken the car out of the Essex / London areas since I picked it up from Crawley Audi so I don't know what coverage will be like elsewhere.

El Guapo
18-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Dunno mate, it's just always worked since I've had the car. All traffic updates are displayed with no problems. I live in Essex and the system tells me that Essex FM is the local station relaying the messages. I've not taken the car out of the Essex / London areas since I picked it up from Crawley Audi so I don't know what coverage will be like elsewhere.

Ok, how do you link it up to a station? And do you have to be listening to that particular station or can you listen to anything? I don't think I can take listening to local radio! lol

Crusty
18-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Ok, how do you link it up to a station? And do you have to be listening to that particular station or can you listen to anything? I don't think I can take listening to local radio! lol

No mate, it's all automatic. My car picks up the TMC and I don't have to do a thing (and never have.)
You don't have to be listening to a particular station. The station used is only a "carrier signal" for TMC. You only know what station is being used by going into the settings and looking.

El Guapo
18-03-2008, 08:11 PM
No mate, it's all automatic. My car picks up the TMC and I don't have to do a thing (and never have.)
You don't have to be listening to a particular station. The station used is only a "carrier signal" for TMC. You only know what station is being used by going into the settings and looking.

Ahhh ok! Cool I will give it a try next time I use the motorway. I'm over in north east hampshire so not sure what the coverage is like. Thanks anyway.

browellm
31-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Hi guys, all TMC signals are carried by Classic FM in the UK. So you should have national coverage.

ragebe
17-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi Guys

Why do they do the upgrade fro free? Is it part of the 3-year warranty? My local dealers have said I would have to pay £200 for an upgrade to he sat-nav disc. Is the firmware upgrade a warranty fix?

silvershadow
20-07-2008, 12:19 AM
My TMC works most of the time. Never really new you had to pay extra for this service. Mind you my car came with the Sat Nav disc.

Itsunclebuck
20-07-2008, 09:54 AM
I have had no problem with TMC on my 07 A4. However in Scotland the TMC cut out completly, but as soon as I got closer to England it came back (around Gretna) Also I heard that there were issues with TMC and licence issues. Think there was a string on http://www.navplus.us/forums/index.php Which has been linked on the site I think. Something to do with 06 Sat nav discs I think. best check first though. I did ask my local dealer about upgrade discs for the hardware and he told me that my TMC issies would have been sorted so i didnt need one! So it might actually be the Nav hardware rather than the Nav Disc. Perhaps someone can confirm one way or the other

slinger247
21-07-2008, 01:40 PM
My car came with the 04 disc which I have since upgraded to the 08 version and can confirm that after the initial software update TMC now works.
It must be the 0650 software update that sorts this out.