PDA

View Full Version : Walkden VW - Bad Experience

bg158a
26-02-2008, 11:35 AM
:zx11: I have had my 51 plate Passat TDI in at Walkden VW as last week the brake pedal went solid.

They diagnosed a vacuum problem and later the Vac pump and Main Vac hose needed replacing. I have no problems with this. They carried out the work in 2 days for £400.

I took the car away happy but on the 40 mile round trip home and back I was not happy. The servo assistance felt inconstant, also their was a really bad rattle from the engine.

I returned the car to Walkden VW they agreed to have a look and say they took it out for a test drive twice. They secured the engine cover that was rattling. They informed me their was no problem with the brakes. They did not charge me for this which I was pleased with.

Monday of the following week while driving to work I experienced near complete brake failure as the servo was completely ineffective. I narrowly avoided running into the car in front by swerving into a pub car park.

I called the AA expecting them to tow me back to Walkden VW, the very nice AA man had a quick look and found the new vacuum pipe floating in free space without any kind of Jubilee clip on the end. He promptly fitted a clip and the brakes were completely restored and now felt very good again.

I went that afternoon back to Walkden VW to highlight their error. I was met by some resistance to the fact that a jubilee clip was needed but when their mechanic had a look he agreed their should be one. As I had paid nearly £200 in labor charges I expected to get some compensation as they had been very neglectful on such a safety critical part but all I got was an apology which I find completely unacceptable. It seems that because I did not crash or injure myself I have no claim and am not covered by the law or insurance companies one bit. Had I have paid on my Credit Card I may have had a better course for complaint as I think I could argue that the work was substandard.

You have been warned I have no problem with their general level of service just a total disregard for how important the work was that they carried out on my car. It is the first time in 7 years that I have taken a car to a garage and only did on this occasion as I wanted the piece of mind that the brakes were 100% sorted, how wrong I was.
:zx11: