PDA

View Full Version : Remote Central Locking

the_italian_job
20-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi all,
I have just joined the forum and hope someone will be able to help me!!!

I own a 1998 1.6 SE mark IV Golf, recently the remote locking has stopped working, I took it to my local VW dealer and they said it just needs a new battery.

They changed it, re-syncd it and nothing!!!

All they could recommend is that I book in for a few hours diagnostic, at £90+VAT and hour its goign to be expensive.

After some tinkering, it looks like my passnger door lock is busted as well, not sure how long this has been broken. This would explain why that door along with the boot doesn't open when I unlock the doors with the key in the drivers lock (I've only got 1 key!!).

Can anyone advise on a solution? Is it a case of just a new lock in the passenger door or is it a case of a new central locking sytem or ECU?

Thanks, looking forward to reading your replies!
Ricc

Sam
21-11-2006, 04:00 PM
You say in another of your posts that you're not at all mechanically inclined so bear that in mind before tackling anything.

The solder joints in the doors of VWs are notoriously bad for breaking. Check the wires (in the rubber sleeves) in the door jambs first for any signs wear.

What, if anything, happens when you press the unlock button on the key fob?

Do you have any diagnostic codes you can share with us?

Is there any water damage to the carpets?

What happens when you place the key in the driver's door lock and turn it to open, do all the doors/boot open, do the indicators flash?

If you hold the key in the open position do your windows roll down?

Given time (more than say one day!), those with the answers will reply. Not everyone has the time to be online waiting for questions to be asked.

Welcome to the club.

mbertouche
21-11-2006, 04:35 PM
It may sound a bit simple but have you tried a new battery in your 'zapper?'

I also have a 1996 Passat CL TDI and have found that the boot lock needs to be in a certain position before it will unlock with the doors. I think it is a security feature.

Mike

Marc97
21-11-2006, 05:29 PM
I took it to my local VW dealer and they said it just needs a new battery.

They changed it, re-syncd it and nothing!!!

Yup, I think he tried that one.

cooperjinx
28-06-2007, 02:23 PM
hi this is my first post here.
i have a similar problem to the original poster on my Seat Ibiza. the battery in the keyfob went flat which i have now replaced but now it seems the car has gone deaf! i assume i just need to resync the keyfob to the car but i am at a loss how to do it. its a '99 T reg seat ibiza i would appreciate any suggestions :1zhelp:

adamss24
28-06-2007, 02:30 PM
hi this is my first post here.
i have a similar problem to the original poster on my Seat Ibiza. the battery in the keyfob went flat which i have now replaced but now it seems the car has gone deaf! i assume i just need to resync the keyfob to the car but i am at a loss how to do it. its a '99 T reg seat ibiza i would appreciate any suggestions :1zhelp:
Put the key in the drivers lock and lock the car with the key, then immediatelly press the open button on the remote. Its as simple as that ! Its all explained in the owner manual ...if someone bothers to read the book !?! Repeat if unsuccesfull. hope this helps.

cooperjinx
28-06-2007, 03:10 PM
thanks for the quick reply and the help. unfortunately the method you described didnt work :dunno: is there any other way?

Eshrules
28-06-2007, 03:18 PM
thanks for the quick reply and the help. unfortunately the method you described didnt work :dunno: is there any other way?

do you have a full version of vagcom? because that can do it in a matter of seconds.

cooperjinx
28-06-2007, 03:34 PM
no idea what that is :confused: so i guess the answer is no :D

anyway ill give adams method another try when i get home as im at work right now and dont have much time to mess around with it

ini
28-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Have you tried clearing all the stored keys before re-synching your key?

Eshrules
28-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Have you tried clearing all the stored keys before re-synching your key?

if he hasnt got vagcom how would he do that :Blush2:

Eshrules
28-06-2007, 05:06 PM
no idea what that is :confused: so i guess the answer is no :D

anyway ill give adams method another try when i get home as im at work right now and dont have much time to mess around with it

depending on where you are based, if you are struggling to do this, bring it round to me and i will sort it for you.:beerchug:

ini
28-06-2007, 07:25 PM
He would clear the remote positions with the 2 key method, in the much the same way we do with our Audi's, but there is a different sequence for the VW.

I can't remember the procedure for the mk4, but i seem to recall it involving holding the key in the unlock position for several seconds at one point.

cooperjinx
29-06-2007, 08:41 AM
how do i do that?

He would clear the remote positions with the 2 key method, in the much the same way we do with our Audi's, but there is a different sequence for the VW.

I can't remember the procedure for the mk4, but i seem to recall it involving holding the key in the unlock position for several seconds at one point.

if you could provide me with the sequence i would appreciate that. i can still lock and unlock manually obviously but i miss the remote! :(

cooperjinx
30-06-2007, 05:25 PM
ok i stopped being lazy and spent 2 hours searching for the manual.

the sequence is:

insert key in ignition and turn until contact is made. hold for 5 seconds
remove key and press/hold lock key on fob and simultaneously press the unlock key twice quick succession.
release the lock key.if successful the locks will all lock.

worked a treat :D thanks for all your help guys. much appreciated :beerchug: