PDA

View Full Version : Should my car have remote central Locking

Byrnt
26-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Hi All,

When I bought my 98 model A4, the bloke I bought it off told me that this model did not come with remote central locking and that it only has key entry central locking. Is this true or does my car have RCL and he just lost the fob?

If it doesn't have it how difficult is it to fit, as I am thinking of doing it myself or getting it done once I eventually get it back from the garage.

Disk0
26-02-2008, 12:37 AM
I have a 98 A4 without central locking as well.....just got a light on the fob

Byrnt
26-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Ok cool so I wasn't lied to. Does anyone know about fitting RCL to a 98 A4?

ini
26-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Virtually all B5 A4's from late 97 were factory fitted with an RF remote central locking receiver integrated into the pump.

If the 'Keyless Entry' was optional and not purchased, Audi simply gave people non remote keys, and coded the central locking accordingly.

The correct flip key synched to your car should work fine.

Part No's for 2 & 3 button 'flip key'

4D0 837 231
4D0 837 231 A
4D0 837 231 B
4D0 837 231 N
4D0 837 231 R

Check the number on the bottom of your central locking pump first, most A4's have a twin outlet 8L0 pump.

If the suffix is greater than 'A', your car has 'remote locking'.

Vagcom may be needed to let the car know it is using 'keyless entry'.

Byrnt
26-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Excellent thanks for that, I will look into it as soon as I get the car back from the mechanic. So where do I find the central locking pump?

leadfooter
26-02-2008, 01:10 AM
You'll have to strip down one of the front doors to access the pump, be careful not to damage the door linings as theres nothing worse than having bits of door trim hanging off.

nathanj
26-02-2008, 11:21 AM
AFAIK the pump is not in the door, it is mounted in the boot on the offside, behind the wheel arch. At least that's where mine was, unless there's another one I don't know about.

I've got the same problem, my car has the option "without carrier frequency" which I believe means that remote central locking wasn't enabled.

ini - I read your central locking FAQ which helped me get started on enabling it on my car but I seemed to have a problem getting the right base code to put into VAG-COM. I've been able to switch on the auto lock feature (doors lock at 15mph) and even change to another non-remote base code. but when I try to change to the equivalent 'remote' base code, it just rejects it. I've checked my pump and it's the twin outlet type, I think it was something like revision 'g'.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

BTW my car is a late 98 A4 2.5 TDi Quattro, incase it makes any difference.

ini
26-02-2008, 02:32 PM
It sounds like the original basecode you are working from is incorrect.

The car uses the decimal locking code number as binary, in effect a simple row of on/off switches. This means that more than one decimal number can seem to enable/disable the same features.

So even with the wrong 'base-code' for 'keyless entry' you will still be able to turn on and off some functions with a smaller + or - number to alter them. (the 1 or 0 near the end of the string are in the correct place)

This app is handy for checking your options:

http://www.kevin-st.co.uk/tt/codes.htm

Has the radio been upgraded, as this is one of 2 possible reasons for basecode error?

If it is an original A4 pump, it must be one of these (courtesy of Rosstech):

A4 pre-1998 with Delta radio and anti-theft system
Standard Coding: 03468

A4 pre-1998 with Delta radio, anti-theft system and keyless entry
Standard Coding: 12172

A4 1998+ with Concert/Symphony radio and anti-theft system
Standard Coding: 03340

S4, A4 1998+ with Concert/Symphony radio, anti-theft system and keyless entry
Standard Coding: 16140

Add the following options to your coding number:
+64 Windows up, sunroof close, and windows down with remote.
-04 One touch unlock of all 4 doors and trunk
-1024 Remove horn honk when arming
+32 Auto lock/unlock of doors (Doors lock at 15 mph and unlock when key is removed)

Try using these A3 basecodes:

A3 98+ Central locking + Keyless entry
Standard Coding: 12864

A3 98+ Central locking + Alarm + Keyless entry
Standard Coding: 13130

After transplanting an 8L0 'G' pump from an A3 into my A4, it reset the locking code to the A3 number 13130.

Audi A4 Lover
26-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Hmm, I'll look into this myself once I get my VAGCOM sorted, as I want remote central locking, plus I want one of the new cool flip keys :)

**Edit** Yep my pump is an 8LO one, infact its 8LO 862257 H So I imagine its good to go, as previously stated, once my VAGCOM sorts itself out Ill be sorted!

Byrnt
26-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Went to the dealer today and he told me that the fob and reprogramming would set me back about 120 euro +VAT. Is there a way of doing this cheaper without going to the main dealer?

ini
26-02-2008, 08:11 PM
The vastly more economical way of doing this is to use an aftermarket flip key setup.

I retrofitted the OEM Audi flipkey system into my B5 A4, as it originally had the early non Radio Frequency 8L0 'A' pump & non remote keys.

After installing an 8L0 'G' pump, so that i could use a 'flip key', I was disapointed by the poor range (security feature).

I now use an aftermarket 'Keyless entry' addon that wires into the pump harness.

The range is much greater, the car locks/unlocks faster, the factory alarm arms, and it has full closure.

Cost is around £25 for a kit with 2 Audi style flipkeys.

This method also removes the need to alter anything with vagcom, but you will need to get one of your key transponders cloned (£10-20 for pre 99.5 cars) and new blades cut to use the new flipkeys in the ignition. (I just canibalised one of my old main keys for the transponder capsule & blade)

example kits:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110223565116&ih=001&category=75329

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110225749985&ih=001&category=75329

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Remote-Keyless-Entry-System-Audi-BMW-VW-DB-Opel-Rover_W0QQitemZ310026071508QQihZ021QQcategoryZ1039 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Audi A4 Lover
26-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Wow,that first one looks good.Witht the fake badges and stuff.I might get one.The kits are easy enough to fit and I know theyll go on anything, iv fitted kits like these to both my MGB's!!CHeers for the info, Ill get one and possibly do a tutorial on it, I like playing with electronics.

28ash
26-02-2008, 09:44 PM
:DI just bought one of those aftermarket kits shown in the links above. I got the first one. I was going to fit it in a day or two,but,what do you mean about getting the transponder cloned :confused: I got 2 blank blades,and was going to get them cut like my keys.Didn't realise I needed to clone something ! My suffix on my pump is H....My A4 Avant is 1996...More info please.....:(

ini
27-02-2008, 12:35 AM
The battery operated 'remote' part of the key and the inductively powered transponder are two separate devices within the same key.

The remote part needs synching to the cars central locking, and the transponder needs to give the signal expected by the instruments/immobiliser. Early keys (approx pre2000) had a static immob code, and can be cloned (the car will see all cloned transponders as the same key)

Every modern VAG key (apart from early USA) has a tiny transponder capsule/chip within it, this is a kind of electronic key to disable the immobiliser.

Audi transponder capsule in old type key:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/inisj/TransponderOld.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/inisj/TransponderCapsule.jpg

Early VW/Audi flip key transponder location:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/inisj/Transponderlocation-1.jpg

benstar
27-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Hello all!

This is my first post, but have to say this website/forum has been very useful. thanks to you all for sharing the knowledge!

I have a similar central locking problem, but I'm still confused! I bought a 1998 Audi A4 last october. The central locking pump has died, so I'm currently looking for a replacement on ebay. The code is "8LO 862 257 G". I was only given a "normal" (non flip/remote locking) key with it, and as far as I can tell (without breaking it open), it doesn't have a transponder.

I would like to know if:

1. I can buy a pump from ebay with codes "8LO 862 257 A", and "8LO 862 257 P" will these work with my car?

2. Is it possible to fit remote central locking to my car, and what would be the best way to go about this?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

ini
27-02-2008, 02:46 AM
Both these pumps will work with your car, as all the 8L0 pumps are interchangeable. (NOT 8D0 pumps which look identical)

Vag-com or similar may be needed to reset the 'Central Locking' code once the new pump is installed (depends on the new pump, and your locking options).

If you want to use a genuine Audi flip-key remote, the '8LO 862 257 A' pump does not have the RF interface. (it is not a 'remote' pump)

If you want to use an inexpensive aftermarket 'Keyless entry' flip-key kit, as in the ebay links above, any of the 2 pumps will work fine, as the aftermarket kits come with their own RF receiver.

benstar
27-02-2008, 04:35 AM
Thank you very much for quick response ini,

Think I will try to get new CLP, and swap circuit board over from my old pump. This should stop me having to reprogram anything? I'm presuming this should get my central locking working again, as the unit seems to work fine (humming noise etc.) but no suction from the holes.

like I said, I only have the one non flip/remote key. This would still need reprogramming if I swapped CLP entirely?

if I get one of the remote kits you pointed out from ebay, will the keys that come with this need programmed? or just cut and away you go?

thanks for your help.

Ben.

ini
27-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Simply swapping the internal 'pump motor' assembly into your existing broken locking pump is the best option, it is an easy job.

If you swap the entire pump over, the 'remote' part of your existing key will need to be synch'ed to the new pump (2 minute job). Swapping over the complete pump may also alter your locking options, disabling the alarm & other optional locking features, and will need vagcom or similar to reset.

The ebay kits will operate the remote locking, but obviously do not come with a transponder capsule to disable your ignition immobiliser.

Either have an auto locksmith make a copy of your main key transponder, and insert it into the ebay flip key, or destroy your old key and carefully salvage the transponder capsule, or use the new flipkey as a remote fob and your old key in the ignition.

benstar
29-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Thanks ini for your helpful advice again.

I've just bought an old audi 80/coupe CLP from ebay for £10 inc postage! with a bit of luck, I should be able to cannibalise the pump from this, and stick it in my old CLP unit. If all goes to plan, this will have been a very inexpensive way to repair my central locking, fingers crossed! will let you know how I get on when I recieve it.

Once I've done this, I will probably get one of the remote kits that you pointed out earlier to make it keyless entry.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Ben.

Byrnt
06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
the pump is not in the door, it is mounted in the boot on the offside, behind the wheel arch.

Which side is the offside, and when you say behind the wheel arch is that between the wheel arch and the back seat or between the wheel arch and the bumper end. A picture of location and pump would be very helpful if you have one.

I just spoke with the local dealer on the phone, he checked chassis number and said that the car wasn't fitted with a frequency unit so no audi RMC, I presume however that this doesn't have any bearing on fitting the aftermarket unit, the car itself has central locking, on both front doors and the boot?

nathanj
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
The offside is the side furthest away from the kurb (opposite to nearside) but I should have said on the right hand side when looking in the boot (because offside and nearside depends on what side of the road you drive on!).

It is behind the trim between the back of the car and the wheel arch. You will need to remove the plastic trim along the boot sill (where the latch is) to pull back the carpet on the right hand side and get to the pump. The pump should be inside a foam cover. Be careful with the air hoses as you remove it.

As far as I know, the aftermarket kits will work with your central locking. INI will know more than me, he's the salesman ;-)

Byrnt
06-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for that I will check it out shortly and post a picture probably for the benefit of all.

Byrnt
06-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Ok I have located and photographed the pump. Mine is an 8LO862 257 "A" one, and has two pipes coming out of it, so I presume, from reading previous posts, that this will be ok to handle the aftermarket unit?

The pump is located here:
http://www.blueink.ie/audipics/pump_location.jpg

Pump code:
http://www.blueink.ie/audipics/8lo_pump.jpg

Pump connections
http://www.blueink.ie/audipics/pump_wiring.jpg

So now I just wait and see what happens when the aftermarket unit arrives.

benstar
12-03-2008, 02:30 AM
Hi all!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I fixed my CLP! (see earlier posts) I bought an old audi 80 pump from ebay for the pricely sum of £9! now I could have changed the whole pump itself over as explained in the tutorial, but found the pipe coming from this pump, a bit of a tight fit in my A4 CLP. so instead of using vaccum pipe to connect etc. I just dismantled the audi 80 pump mechanism, and guess what? found the piece that shattered in my a4 pump to be identical! quick change over into my A4 pump (and a slight sanding of circular piece to make smooth as it was made rough by the broken disc), screwed it all together and refitted pump, and hey presto, my central locking works again, with no need for coding keys/buying expensive a4 CLP etc. couldn't believe it! Thats the way to do it!

cheers for all the help.

rich_jc
13-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Assuming my A4 has an 8LO CLP with a suffix greater than A, I can buy one of those ebay kits - get the key blank cut - and then get the remote fob part cloned to my non remote keys.

Who does this cloning, or is it something you can do yourself in the car?

Cheers, this article has been great

Rich

ini
13-03-2008, 01:03 PM
The aftermarket flip-key kits will work on any car that has central locking.

The pump suffix bit only applies if you want the original Audi system.

Any good auto-locksmith will be able to sort out your blade and copy the immob transponder for cars upto approx 2001.

Post 2000-2001 ish cars will need a very good auto-locksmith, or a dealer to sort the immob out.

rich_jc
13-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Just checked my car and its got a 8DO C CLP encased in foam in the boot, which I assume isn't factory ready for rcl.

£25 for those kits is a real bargain, thanks for all the advice.

Rich

Byrnt
14-03-2008, 12:47 AM
I fitted mine the other day, took a bit longer than expected as the wire connectors were not cutting in right, but got it in eventually. Works fine though it can be a bit funny now and then, with the unlock, seems I have to click the door unlock and boot unlock at the same time, and I have to point the fob directly at the boot were the pump is, anyone else have this problem or is it just me. Oh I didn't know why they want you to connect to the rear indicators or how exactly to do it so I left that bit out of the install.

ini
14-03-2008, 01:53 AM
I secured the box ontop of the wheel arch, behind the trim.

This allows the small aerial wire to be threaded between the parcel shelf & 'C' pillar into the cabin, where it lies flat, out of sight.

This dramatically increased the operating range of the kit (RF does not go through metal well)

You should not have to press the 'boot release' button unless you have wired it upto something (i was thinking of using the middle button for a powered sub remote on/off)

Which wiring scheme did you follow?

It took me a while to figure out which wire to splice into for 'full closure' (got some help from another member)

Byrnt
14-03-2008, 11:03 AM
I used the ZV Central Lock control line plan 2, for the B5 Audi A4.

I spliced the yellow wire and the Yellow/Black wire on to the black line (rclick unit = RU), then spliced this onto the brown wire (Original Unit = OU)
I connected the red wire (RU) to the red/blue wire(OU)
White/black (RU) to the White/Grey (OU)
White (RU) to the Red/Brown (OU)

I didn't connect the blinker lights, because I wasn't sure how to, if these are very important I would love some advice on how to do this. I will probably open it all up again tomorrow to try and improve the set up.

I think the problem might just be the position of the RU I dropped it into the space behind the OU toward the back set of the car. Can you explain how you secured it to the wheel arch so that it doesn't fall off please.

lucianus
16-03-2008, 09:34 PM
hi. sorry to jump in but i was wondering if you guys know anything about sigma alarm systems because it seems that my car has it. the remote looks like this:

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/uploads/Knowledge/sigma-m30-remote.jpg

is it an original audi central locking system?
i'm not sure what model it is because the user manual is for models SG10/SG20/SG30.
i only have 1 remote and i bought another one over ebay but it doesn't work. i suppose it needs to be reprogammed. do you buys have any idea how? :D
and another thing. i have the old type car key, no buttons on it and no leds. just a simple key and if i remember well it says HAA on it. how can i find out the key's part number? (or any car piece part number) if i buy a new style uncut flip key over ebay will it be possible to make it work with the sigma system? ;)

thanx alot. cheers

LAWHazl
13-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I've bought the Rclick remote central locking kit, and it's brilliant, it works like a charm. Byrnt's connections worked for me. But i have one question; which wire do i connect the comfort control close to? The wire from the kit outputs a 0V for about 10 secs to close all the windows. Does anyone know the correct wire to conncet this to?

ini
13-05-2008, 10:27 PM
For 'full closure' connected the green (windows) wire from the rclick box to the red/brown wire in the pump loom.

(the above works on my 97 A4)

Audi A4 Lover
02-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I was going to install one of these kits, but was offered a genuine key at a good price so Im going the official way!Iv got the key cut, swapped the transponder over and it starts the car just fine.However, Im not 100% certain how to enable RCL on my car using vag-com, I had a quick go lastnight, but came up stumped.Anybody have any ideas?

dansansome
02-07-2008, 10:52 AM
taken from ross-tech website

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB5.html

35-Central Locks: -- KWP-1281
VAG-COM Works fine (note: pre-'97 A4's may not have this module).

Recode locking options

[Select]
[35 - Cent. Locks]
[Recode - 07]
Enter the coding below
[Do It!]

Write down the existing coding for future reference.

A4 pre-1998 with Delta radio and anti-theft system
Standard Coding: 03468

A4 pre-1998 with Delta radio, anti-theft system and keyless entry
Standard Coding: 12172

A4 1998+ with Concert/Symphony radio and anti-theft system
Standard Coding: 03340

S4, A4 1998+ with Concert/Symphony radio, anti-theft system and keyless entry
Standard Coding: 16140

Add the following options to your coding number:

+64 Windows up, sunroof close, and windows down with remote.
-04 One touch unlock of all 4 doors and trunk
-1024 Remove horn honk when arming
+32 Auto lock/unlock of doors (Doors lock at 15 mph and unlock when key is removed)

So, if you want to have a 1999 A4 with Concert radio and anti-theft system and keyless entry, and you want to add window control with the remote along with auto-lock, then:
add 03340+64+32= 03436

when you access control module 35, you should see a box at the top (im basing this on 409.1) which says something like "software coding" there will be a number in the box next to it. this is the number that the ross tech quote is referring to above.

to change it, you need to click the recode button, and change it based on the info above. (make sure you make a note of the original number ust in case)

click "do it" and then exit vag com, turn off ignition and see if the changes have worked :)

Audi A4 Lover
02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Ah ha!I thought it may have been somethign to do with this, but then again I also thought i might have been a way of recoding cars with existing RCL. Im sure itl work as I've managed to activate the autolock facility with no problems.Thanks very much dasansome, you've been a fountain of info over the past two days!

dansansome
02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
you're welcome. :)

i hope it works for you, as i havent got experience of it, i have just regurgitated what the experts have written :Blush:

Audi A4 Lover
03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I've got the same problem, my car has the option "without carrier frequency" which I believe means that remote central locking wasn't enabled.

ini - I read your central locking FAQ which helped me get started on enabling it on my car but I seemed to have a problem getting the right base code to put into VAG-COM. I've been able to switch on the auto lock feature (doors lock at 15mph) and even change to another non-remote base code. but when I try to change to the equivalent 'remote' base code, it just rejects it. I've checked my pump and it's the twin outlet type, I think it was something like revision 'g'.

Im having the same problem on mine, its rejecting all the remote central locking base codes. My origional code was/is 00266 I upped it to 00298 to add the auto door lock, and that worked fine. Sadly the battery ran out on the laptop and the car is stuck with the wrong code at the moment, only the drivers door unlocks with the key and the horn beeps when it locks, but Ill sort that once the battery is charged back up. Has anybody got any Ideas how to solve my remotte problem? Thepump's part No.is 8LO 862257 H which Im sure is ok to accept a remote control?All help will be greatly appreciated!!Im also going to be a bit naughty and post in the vag com section aswel.

olds_kool
05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
'H' lettered pumps are not remote pumps they are the later replacement for 'A', thats why it wont accept new code, you would need a 'G' pump to convert it

rchiileea
20-07-2008, 06:44 AM
aww dont think i have the option in late 97 A4, connected up vag com went to central locking and it couldnt find the module....:mad:

Melchett
20-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Can anyone post a link to the rclick website for the wiring diagram for a KE60W to an A4 B5 please I cant seem to find it.

ini
20-03-2009, 06:12 PM
This is the .PDF installation file for a B5 Audi A4, and username & password i was told to use.

http://www.rclick.co.uk/pdf/audi_a4.pdf

User name: mkd
Password: rclick

nemisis2005
19-07-2010, 12:18 AM
hi my car has the suffix A
Control Module Part Number: 8LO 862 257 A
Component and/or Version: ZV-Pumpe, DWA D03
Software Coding: 01416
Work Shop Code: WSC 65535
will this be included with rf reception as everyone keeps saying the suffix higher than A. DO I JUST ACTIVATE IT .thanks:1zhelp:

ini
19-07-2010, 01:34 AM
The '8LO 862 257 A' central locking pump does not support RF 'key-less entry'.

pjbs
20-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Result. this thread answered my question. :)