PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 Golf GTi 16v 1996 (P)

jlx45v
20-11-2006, 02:41 PM
I have a Mk3 16v GTi, 1996 import model - ie no air bags, manual windows, and I have 2 problems with the car;

Intermittent cutting out, usually when I'm coming to a stop at a roundabout. It usually happens when the car has been at a constant speed, ie coming off the duel carriageway on the way to / from work, coming off a motorway etc. The car has got a full service history and has done 88k, last service being October 2006.

Yesterday, the orange warning light on the dash came on, the one situated next to the red oil warning light. What is this warning me about?

Can anyone tell me what either of these problems are?

Thanks

Boardboy
20-11-2006, 07:46 PM
The cutting out could be caused by the stablizer valve. It is located in front of the intake plenium. It has a electric plug on one end and a breather hose going to it and out again at right angles. If you take it off and clean it out with something like carb cleaner. I always gave mine a squirt of plus gas before putting it back.
What symbol is on the orange light?
Regards Boardboy.

jlx45v
21-11-2006, 10:52 AM
The cutting out could be caused by the stablizer valve. It is located in front of the intake plenium. It has a electric plug on one end and a breather hose going to it and out again at right angles. If you take it off and clean it out with something like carb cleaner. I always gave mine a squirt of plus gas before putting it back.
What symbol is on the orange light?
Regards Boardboy.
Hi Boardboy thanks for the info on the cutting out problem, I will give it a try at the weekend. As for the orange light, it has a circle and a broken circle on the outer sides of the circle. there is no symbol inside the circle. It is located next to the brake symbol - not the oil warning light as i said previously. I have checked the handbook for this symbol and cannot find it in there either.
Thanks
JLX45V

Boardboy
21-11-2006, 02:54 PM
jlx45v -The orange light with the broken circle outside another circle is the brake pad wear warning light.
You need to have a look at the brake pads. I don't know how mechanically minded you are but it's not to bad a job.
Regards Boardboy

cbrrocket6
21-11-2006, 10:16 PM
I have a Mk3 16v GTi, 1996 import model - ie no air bags, manual windows, and I have 2 problems with the car;

Intermittent cutting out, usually when I'm coming to a stop at a roundabout. It usually happens when the car has been at a constant speed, ie coming off the duel carriageway on the way to / from work, coming off a motorway etc. The car has got a full service history and has done 88k, last service being October 2006.

Yesterday, the orange warning light on the dash came on, the one situated next to the red oil warning light. What is this warning me about?

Can anyone tell me what either of these problems are?

Thanks
i`m maybe wrong about this,but, i had the cutting out problem with my mk3 anniversary at junctions and roundabouts.the dealer could not find any fault code,but cleaned out the throttle bodies and were as good as new.problem solved.they took 1/2 an hour to do it and was only £ 80.00.
maybe worth a shot!
p.s if i`m wrong,it was my brother that wrote this reply!!!!!