PDA

View Full Version : MK3 gti 8v wont start.clicking etc

Maddoggolfface
19-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Hello ppl
My first post in this forum. so here goes........

I have owned my GTI for 2 years and it has been a good all round motor, if not the fastest car about.
About 3 months ago I put it off road for a bit as i was doing loads of short journeys for work so I bought a run about.

Now I'm wanting to get the GTI back on the road but I cant get the bugger to start, I just get a clicking from under the dash(I think its the relay but not sure) or sometimes a motor sound from the rear which i assume must be the fuel pump, but nothing from the starter at all.
Can any one help?:1zhelp:

If it is th relay how do I test it? and what part number is it?
If it isn't then what could it be?

Hope someone can help me the 1.1 four speed fiesta is doing me head in:aargh4:!!!

Boardboy
20-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Check and see if you've got a 12 volt supply to the soleniod on the top of the start when the ignition is turned on. The noise from behind is the fuel pump. Also check all your battery and earth leads to make sure they are not corroded. I take it the battery is full charged ?(Sorry I had to ask)

Regards Boardboy

Maddoggolfface
20-11-2006, 06:53 PM
the battery is not fully charged but has been attached to a charger. I think Its got enough amps as the interior light is really bright. I will be getting a new battery this week

This may sound dumb but can you describe what the starter/solenoid look like and where they are under the bonnet (I think i know just not sure)

cheers

Boardboy
20-11-2006, 07:36 PM
No problem. If you follow the postive battery lead down to the statrer, you'll see where it attaches. The small round lump on the top of the starter is the soleniod. There is a single small wire on a spade connecter that connects to the soleniod at about the same place. That's the wire that there should be 12 volts at when you turn the ignition to start postion. The clicking sound you here could be the solenoid and the battery may not have enough power to turn the car over.
Doe's the interior light go dime when you try and start the car?
Regards Boardboy

Maddoggolfface
20-11-2006, 08:11 PM
I think the clicking may be from a relay as i can feel one by the fuses.
gonna check that solenoid thing in abit tho.

The light goes dim ya so maybe the bat even when attached to the charger aint got the juice?

may take bat off the fiesta, put on golf (bin fiesta in nearest wheelie bin!!).and see if it starts.

check the solenoid

Is the relay a standard halfords jobbie?
Is the solenoid hard to replace or is it integral to the starter motor?

Thanks for the help

Boardboy
20-11-2006, 09:04 PM
The soleniod is part of the starter. I'm sure it's not that. From what you've discribed it sounds like the battery. Try the fiesta one for a temp fix but replace the golf one with the correct amp/hour rated one.
Have you tried to jump start it?
Regards Boardboy

chrisp
20-11-2006, 09:33 PM
i'd agree with that, battery sounds suspect to me. Get it changed and you should be ok. Don't go for the cheapest you find, it'll last about twenty minutes! (Sore point...)

Mk2 Forever
20-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Quickest way to check the battery is to switch on the headlights, turn the key and watch to see if the beam dims significantly. If it does buy the cheapest trickle charger you can and leave the battery on charge for 48 hrs, be sure to check the levels ont he cells first tho. Dont but an expensive chager as it doesnt aid the main purpose of the task in hand.

Hope this a help.

Ps.

Starter motor is the size of a lage ja of coffee. Lok from underneath and youll see it easier, it will be the only item near the bottom of the engine with heavy duty cables attached.

8v GTI my fav.......

Maddoggolfface
21-11-2006, 12:08 AM
thanks guys :beerchug:
didnt get a chance to do anything tonight but i give it ago tom

Maddoggolfface
28-11-2006, 08:13 PM
thanks ppl charged the battery for a full 48 hrs + started second turn..
thank you for ur help.:beerchug:

Boardboy
28-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Nice! Glad you got it sorted :biglaugh:

Regards boardboy

Mk2 Forever
28-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Anytime.....