PDA

View Full Version : HELP with Engines 1.6FSi, 1.9TDi & 2.0TDi (Sport)

Jaimela
24-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi All,

I am buying an Audi A3 Sport 54 or 04 plate but not sure which engine to get.

Total mileage per year for me is between 5,000 to 10,000.

Do you think the 1.6FSi Sport would suitable for me? The 1.9TDi Sport or 2.0TDi Sport? I have heard the 2.0TDi gives noticely more power than the 1.9TDi but is there really that much difference? Which is the best on fuel consumption mpg?

Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Jaime

prolfe
24-02-2008, 05:52 PM
The 1.6 is the slowest at 12.2 to 60 followed by the 1.9 at 11.7 and then the much faster 2.0 at 9.5.

The mid range the 1.9 and 2.0 will be much much quicker than the 1.6FSI.

The 2.0 will have a lot more punch than the 1.9 mid range.

As for Miles Per Gallon; the 1.6 achieves a best of 49.6, the 1.9; 67.3 and the 2.0; 62.8.

At worst they are : 29.1 for the 1.6, 42.2 for the 1.9 and 40.4 for the 2.0.

They depreciate at the same sort of rate although the 1.9 is ever so slightly better at a 50% retention after 3 years compared to the 1.6 at 49% and the 2.0 at 47%.

The 1.9 seems a very good all rounder, will you always wish you'd of got the 2.0 though?

Jaimela
25-02-2008, 02:05 PM
So the 2.0 is actually the worse with regards to depreciation than the 1.6 and 1.9?

I had a test drive in the 2.0TDi a while back and was pretty impressed with the ride! Just don't want to buy the 1.9TDi and be dissapointed.

Basically I live on the Isle of Man so there would be a lot of stoppin and startin as the roads here aren't exactly the longest roads you've seen. There is no motorway here. I'm just concerned with the amount of petrol id be using, would I be saving in the long term if I opted for the 1.9/2.0TDi rather than the 1.6FSi?

Also other than audi.co.uk, auto trader & pistonheads where else can I look for a decent A3 Sport? I have around 10k-11k.

Audi_Butler
25-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I have the 2.0 TDI and get an average fuel consumption of around 50mpg for my 12 mile trip to work along B roads. I've never got it up anywhere near the 60's though no matter how economical I drive! High 60's for MPG is pretty good going really surely. I'd be amazed to hear of anyone who can get that from their cars regularly.

At the end of the day if you can get to test drive any then try them all first, that will help you decide.

You could try ebay, or do a google search for car auctions. I presume you're not just looking for a car directly on the Isle on Man, but also from the mainland? I don't know how easy it is to get a car over to you.

I just did a quick search and found this website. There is a used car section. They may be of interest. http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/cars/car.php?cid=92

I can vouch for the 2.0 TDI though. It's a lovely car and the best I'v had yet. Comfotable to drive, cheap to run and insure and it looks great. It's got that extra punch when you need it for overtaking too.

It's worth bearing in mind that Deisil is more expensive now though. Where I am it's 4p a litre more so soon it won't be cheaper to run a deisel due to the cost to fill it up!

Let us know how you get on!

prolfe
26-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I have the 2.0 TDI and get an average fuel consumption of around 50mpg for my 12 mile trip to work along B roads. I've never got it up anywhere near the 60's though no matter how economical I drive! High 60's for MPG is pretty good going really surely. I'd be amazed to hear of anyone who can get that from their cars regularly.

At the end of the day if you can get to test drive any then try them all first, that will help you decide.

You could try ebay, or do a google search for car auctions. I presume you're not just looking for a car directly on the Isle on Man, but also from the mainland? I don't know how easy it is to get a car over to you.

I just did a quick search and found this website. There is a used car section. They may be of interest. http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/cars/car.php?cid=92

I can vouch for the 2.0 TDI though. It's a lovely car and the best I'v had yet. Comfotable to drive, cheap to run and insure and it looks great. It's got that extra punch when you need it for overtaking too.

It's worth bearing in mind that Deisil is more expensive now though. Where I am it's 4p a litre more so soon it won't be cheaper to run a deisel due to the cost to fill it up!

Let us know how you get on!

Definitely try each of them and once you have decided on an engine then try a few with the same engine.

A tank will hold 55 litres.

The 1.6 based on What Car's urban MPG will go 352 miles in a tank at a cost of £57.42 so that's 16p/mile
The 1.9 based on What Car's urban MPG will go 510 miles in a tank at a cost of £60.61 so that's 11.8p/mile
The 2.0 based on What Car's urban MPG will go 488 miles in a tank at a cost of £60.61 so that's 12.4p/mile

So although the 1.6 is cheaper to fill up, the 1.9 and even 2.0 are cheaper per mile.

Local papers are a good start for used cars.

Audi_Butler
27-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Great info Profle!

Those much more in line with what I get from a tank Jaimela. Anywhere between 450 and 475 miles per tank is about normal for mine.

Happy hunting!

Butler.