PDA

View Full Version : A4 dodgy indicators!

jjt5
19-11-2006, 05:22 PM
:zx11: Ive just had the drivers side front indicator give up on my 2001 A4. What a pain having to take the headlight out to change a bulb! However, it only lastest an hour(ish) & its gone again. There are no wires just a bulb holder! Does anyone know if theres a circuit board or something in there, as the bulb seems to be fine.

JR001
20-11-2006, 09:34 PM
:beerchug: I had a similar problem on two occasions after getting my local Audi dealer to replace rear bulbs. On my way back home the DIS said same bulb had failed. By the way, my dealer is very good in this respect, they say just bring the car in and all you have to pay is the price of a bulb 49p total!! They then showed me how to do it myself.

Anyway when I started to fit another rear myself, I removed the light assembly and the bulb began to work again. Strange I thought. Turns out the wiring connector must have been stretched or lodged behind one of the clips, but it was a contact problem and not the bulb at all. This is worth checking out. Either that or there could be earthing problem or dirty contacts.

Everybody should put their dealer under pressure to fit the bulbs at cost only. It is a safety measure and I'm sure they don't want their Audis to be seen by other drivers with knackered lights - doesn't look good for the marque. Kind pressure folks and don't give up - tell them other Audi main dealers do it and so should they, regardless of their location.

Would be good to hear what other forum users' experiences are here. If dealers start fitting bulbs at cost only then let the forum know under this thread please.
Cheers everybody.

Hope this helps.

jjt5
21-11-2006, 07:27 PM
:beerchug: Thanks for that, I'll give it a try...as soon as I get a day when this persistant rain stops. The joys of the lake district at winter.

Cheers

John

JR001
22-11-2006, 01:36 AM
Let us know how you got on please!

JOHN

jjt5
30-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Let us know how you got on please!

JOHN

:( tried everything, connections, bulb holders etc..still dont work. Bulb is fine too. Looks like the dealers are going to have take my hard earned for something as poxy as an indicator!

john

JR001
30-11-2006, 05:53 PM
What a bummer. Thanks for keeping us informed. At least you tried and no doubt you've learned some things along the way.
Let us know what the dealers think. And by the way they shouldn't really charge you to diagnose what the problem is. To fix it, yes.
Hope it's not too costly. And who knows you may still be able to fix it yourself when you know what the prob is.

Best of luck.

adamss24
30-11-2006, 07:29 PM
:( tried everything, connections, bulb holders etc..still dont work. Bulb is fine too. Looks like the dealers are going to have take my hard earned for something as poxy as an indicator!

john
Did you replaced the indicators relay ? Tap it lightly with your fingers, maybe is sticky ! Does the hazard lights came on when you press the button ? If they do, then the fault is in the stalk unit, if they dont, replace the relay.

john white
01-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Help ! my drivers side front indicator has packed up too. (02 A4). How do I change it please,it cant be that difficult........can it?

:zx11: Ive just had the drivers side front indicator give up on my 2001 A4. What a pain having to take the headlight out to change a bulb! However, it only lastest an hour(ish) & its gone again. There are no wires just a bulb holder! Does anyone know if theres a circuit board or something in there, as the bulb seems to be fine.

AP1
07-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Help ! my drivers side front indicator has packed up too. (02 A4). How do I change it please,it cant be that difficult........can it?

I had this problem too - its due to a dodgy connection in the bulb holder. You need to get a small pair of pliers and gently bend the up the metal strip that contacts the bottom of the bulb. If you bend it too far the bulb won't go in, so just then bend it back a bit. Mine worked fine after this.