Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 8E0 614 517
Component: ABS/ESP front 3429
Coding: 04155
Shop #: WSC 06435
1 Fault Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-00 - -

There are no faults on the DIS. I understand the unit could be defective and has to be replaced? Is there a danger if I don't get the part replaced? I guess it can't be cleared with vag-com?

Cheers.

Crasher
23-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Is the ABS light on?

tony_anon
23-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi Crasher,

Sorry for posting twice! No, the ABS light is not on. When I scanned the car the big red ABS light on the DIS came on at the same time when vag-com reported the fault (it blinked about 3 times and went off). At the moment, there is no ABS light on. I'll get the unit replaced (my warranty covers ABS systems) but I was worried in the meantime that the ABS was not working.

Cheers.

Crasher
23-02-2008, 09:50 PM
If the ABS light is off the system should be functioning so it is odd that you have such a severe fault code and the light isn't on.

wes68
02-03-2008, 08:32 PM
hi,i had this fault code come up when i used vagcom on my a4 cab,along with 00526-brake light switch-f.My abs light is on constantly,is this an abs module prob? many thanks:confused:

Crasher
02-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Possibly.

tony_anon
05-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Just tried to clear this fault but couldn't because I have the shareware version.
The car's going in for a service soon, so I'll ask the garage to scan the car and clear any faults. As mentioned before, there are no ABS faults showing on the instrument display or DIS.

Theresias
05-03-2008, 07:23 PM
The fault code not being cleared is NOT a shareware limitation.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/65535

In terms of danger, personally I would get this fixed/replaced ASAP. ;)

tony_anon
05-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi,

Could it be that I cannot clear the fault because the lead I have is not a ross-tech one but one bought from ebay? I'm pretty sure when I tried to clear the fault, the software complained about permissions and limitations as to clearing DTCs.

To quote Crasher:

"If the ABS light is off the system should be functioning so it is odd that you have such a severe fault code and the light isn't on".

I'm not convinced this is a real fault even though vag-com is reporting it. The ABS light should be on but it isn't. I know the light works because it came on during the vag-com scan to report the fault.

I'll get the dealer to scan the car and report back any faults during the service.

Theresias
05-03-2008, 09:56 PM
There is no reason for VAG-COM to report this unless you were trying to use the "clear all" button on the Auto-Scan screen. Normally you should use it like this...

VAG-COM > Select > 03 - Brakes > Fault Codes - 02 > Clear Codes

tony_anon
05-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi,

You're right, I was trying to clear the fault with the "clear all" button!

I'll do as you recommend.

P.S. How do i know when the auto-scan is complete? I think I tried to clear the fault when scan was still in progess.

Thanks.

Theresias
05-03-2008, 10:55 PM
A current version shows a progress bar for the Auto-Scan and plays a sound at the end, to be honest I haven't used 311/409 for while that I would be able to tell you...:D

wes68
06-03-2008, 09:33 PM
has anyone tried having their abs module repaired? Saw a service advertised & considering my options,not sure if this would be a viable option.Cost £100,not sure bout cost of a new module

Crasher
07-03-2008, 12:25 AM
I have had a few done and a few that could not be repaired, it is worth a try.

wes68
07-03-2008, 10:38 PM
thanks for the reply,may try that.The lights been on for a few days now with the 2 codes showing up on vagcom but today its gone out & hasnt shown all day:confused:

Byrnt
10-03-2008, 01:10 AM
HI Guys, I am mac based so don't have VACOM (anyone know if its available for mac?) I am having trouble with my ABS. Over a certain speed the light comes on and does not go off again until I stop and restart the car. Again the light only comes on when the revs go over 3k, took off too quick in 2nd gear one day and on she came. all advice welcome

Theresias
10-03-2008, 01:19 AM
I am mac based so don't have VACOM (anyone know if its available for mac?)

That should help...

http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html#1.8

I am having trouble with my ABS. Over a certain speed the light comes on and does not go off again until I stop and restart the car.

Doesn't need to be an ABS fault, could be a result from an engine fault.

Whipround
05-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I had the same problem, there is a switch that costs about 70p to replace, the brake light switch, however it is so well hidden that it takes 3/4 hour to replace. Audi quoted me about £100 to repalce but my mate at west sussex car clinic works for about £35/hour so it cost about £30.

I've got a problem with my A3, when I go a little quickly round a right hand corner the ABS seems to cut in intermittantly causing a loss of power and uncomfortable ride. Anyone know how to fix it?

I'm swapping it for a BMW btw, I've had enough of this rubbish. The seat has broken, the air bag warning lights came on for no reason - not what you'd expect from a kraut car.

Crasher
05-10-2008, 02:20 PM
What makes you think a B*W is any better, I know people who work on them and say they are utter <r@p these days, all the quality has been pulled out to allow toys for owners and the company to stay in business in Europe. In Germany, Mercedes quality hit such as low a few years back that it become a national scandal.

Whipround
05-10-2008, 04:52 PM
You're probably right, I had an M3 acouple of years ago E46, and it was pretty good. I've heard from a few sources that Mercedes are crap and best avoided. My mum's SLK 350 has lost over 50% in 3 years - impressive for something that should hold it's value. Just fed up with all the niggles of the A3.

Theresias
05-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I suggest you get yourself a Dacia Logan instead. No value to begin with so it can't loose much over time. ;)

Crasher
05-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I suggest you get yourself a Dacia Logan instead. No value to begin with so it can't loose much over time. ;)

I like your sense of humour Seb. Are you going to Essen?

Theresias
05-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Unlikely (never was a fan of bling bling), if I remember right I am in Praha (Czech) at the time.

Crasher
05-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Shame, never mind, it would have been good to have a bier. Essen isn’t just about bling but there is a lot.

Whipround
06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
You're probably right, these orientals make better cars nowadays than the Euopeans. Not too worried about the amount I lose, I put down to experience, my weekend 911 has lot a boatload, the audi is just a workhorse.

Crasher
06-10-2008, 01:59 PM
You're probably right, these orientals make better cars nowadays than the Euopeans. Not too worried about the amount I lose, I put down to experience, my weekend 911 has lot a boatload, the audi is just a workhorse.

The Dacia Logan is a Renault Clio underneath made primarily in Romania but in other countries as well.

Whipround
06-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Sounds fantastic where do I get one? I didn't know Romania had a car industry, Skoda is the new VW so I guess Dacia is the new Audi, it's not too far from an anogram.

paul b
06-10-2008, 05:20 PM
HI Guys, I am mac based so don't have VACOM (anyone know if its available for mac?) I am having trouble with my ABS. Over a certain speed the light comes on and does not go off again until I stop and restart the car. Again the light only comes on when the revs go over 3k, took off too quick in 2nd gear one day and on she came. all advice welcome

Without a VAG-COM scan I could say it is an ABS speed sensor fault but I don't recommend throwing parts at it until a diagnostic test has been ran.

I had the same problem, there is a switch that costs about 70p to replace, the brake light switch, however it is so well hidden that it takes 3/4 hour to replace. Audi quoted me about £100 to repalce but my mate at west sussex car clinic works for about £35/hour so it cost about £30.

I've got a problem with my A3, when I go a little quickly round a right hand corner the ABS seems to cut in intermittantly causing a loss of power and uncomfortable ride. Anyone know how to fix it?

I'm swapping it for a BMW btw, I've had enough of this rubbish. The seat has broken, the air bag warning lights came on for no reason - not what you'd expect from a kraut car.

First of all I've had one BMW and it put me off for life. It was a proper Cain Dingle style black 5 series. Trouble from day one. I hated it so much I bought a 1994 Fiat Punto 1.2 with a BROKEN AUTOMATIC GEARBOX. It was still better than the BMW. :p

I've also had Mercs, but not one, and not two, but six of them. Value for money is waning on Mercs just as the driving experience is.

It sounds like you have been unlucky on your A3, but now you have fixed a few problems is it not worth keeping? After all, better the devil you know. ;)

Paul

paul b
06-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I like your sense of humour Seb. Are you going to Essen?
I loved that one as well! :beerchug:

Paul

Crasher
07-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Skoda is the new VW so I guess Dacia is the new Audi, it's not too far from an anogram.

Not quite, suggesting Dacia is the new Audi may have people suggesting you are from Newark, make an anagram of that!