PDA

View Full Version : Wipers not moving

28ash
23-02-2008, 03:18 PM
:mad: Hi all.I have trawled through posts regarding wipers,but cannot seem to find an answer.My wipers stopped working today.One suddenly moved slower than the other,while driving along in the rain this morning,hence it got caught up in the other one ! Stopped car,but had to pull them apart.They then returned to the rest position,and that was that.Now,I can hear the motor going when I use the stalk,but they refuse to move,not even a bit ! The washer jets work fine,the rear wiper and jet is also ok,just the front wipers won't move ! Any ideas fellow Audi A4 Avant B5 drivers ? My car has done 151,500 miles,but drives like it just came out of the showroom,until this morning :-). :confused:

kenney
23-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi The linkage has seized in their bushes and the fact that you hear the motor is that the crank arm has probably loosened from the motor.You are going to have to remove the wiper frame to be able to repair it.

carlTDI
02-03-2008, 12:51 PM
the likeage system from audi is £97.mine went several months ago and had to replace it .it had seized solid same probs as yours by the sound.not to dificult to change neither. atb carl..

28ash
02-03-2008, 09:13 PM
:D Took scuttle off,checked linkage,expected to see it hanging loose,BUT,to my surprise,all it was was a nut come loose ! Tightened it back up,after checking the rest position of the wipers,which was slightly off,and away they went again.Better than ever now,no more rubbing on bonnet either,which I was unaware they did until I did this check ! :biglaugh: Thanks for the advice though guys.Big cheers from me :beerchug:....

tone0_12
10-07-2008, 10:07 PM
the likeage system from audi is £97.mine went several months ago and had to replace it .it had seized solid same probs as yours by the sound.not to dificult to change neither. atb carl..
Carl,

Sorry to bother you, but I'm trying to replace the wiper motor, having picked one up from a salvage yard. Got the blades off, the plastic trim, etc. but can't get the old unit out. There's a big black box in the way! Please can you explain how I get this out of the way, or how to get round it.

As you can tell I'm a bit of a novice with car maintenance.

Thanks,
Tony.

A4 1.9 TDI (110)