PDA

View Full Version : CV JOINT or Wheel Bearings

Walesgbn
22-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi !

I have an weird noise at the moment which becomes more noticeable when steering slightly e.g a bend in the road or tightly e.g. a roundabout

There is no vibration through the steering wheel

The noise is hard to explain, it is NOT a knocking noise and neither would I say it was more of a rubbing noise. The noise is related to speed because the noise gets quicker or slower according to my speed.

I know that play in the wheel would indicate a wheel bearing so I will be checking this on the weekend, but a friend suggested whether it could be a CV joint gone ?

However, (A) I dont know the symptoms and (B) how you can check to see if it is gone I wouldnt know.

Does anybody know the symptoms of wheel bearings or CV joints worn and secondly how you can actually check ?

Cheers!

Brett

scotty33
24-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I would describe outer cv joint noise as being a 'clack, clack clack' type of noise, it usually happens worst when the steering is at or near full lock and the throttle is applied. A really bad joint will do this at lesser steering angles, eg accelerating out of roundabouts. If it is making this type of noise, go around in tight circles to cause the noise and have somebody listen out for which side.
A wheel bearing usually makes a humming noise and sometimes it will get quieter/louder as you go around bends, this is because the weight tends to transfer from the inside wheel to the outside wheel, when cornering. You might be able to use this to work out which side is making the noise.

ASBOAUTO
20-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I had both cv joints changed on my audi 80 cab one after the other heard clicking noise usually if you checking condition of rubber bellows that house cv joint are in gives you some indication of the condition of cv joint .ie if they are torn and split then leakage of grease from bellows may have caused CV joint to run dry and deteriorate

95cabrio
29-02-2012, 11:42 AM
yep, definitely wheel bearings :)