PDA

View Full Version : Slow to Heat Up Alhambra

mike_watts
22-02-2008, 12:44 PM
It takes a good 10-15 miunutes of driving before my Seat Alhambra starts to heat up so that the heater blows out hot air, the air con also takes a while to clear a misty screen. I have a 1.9tdi 02 reg model 5 years old from new. My previous car was also a seat alhambra which I had for 4 years and the heater and screen clearing using air con seemed to be much more effective. Is it just that the newer model is not as effective/efficient as the old or is there another cause I should look at. Once heated the temp guage stays exactly in the middle and it all works fine it just takes while to get there!. Appreciate any thoughts Thanks.

darren_mcvicar
25-02-2008, 06:13 PM
sounds like a thermostat buddy

john36
07-03-2008, 10:53 PM
I have the same problem, takes a good 10 mins drive before hot air comes out.

Where is this thermostat can you be more specific as there are a few of them in the vehicle

iCraig
09-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Definately sounds like the thermostat is stuck open slightly. Causing the coolant to flow when the engine is cold. (Thats if there is a thermostat in your car, as on my Skoda it was completely missing causing the car never to warm up properly)

Can I ask when driving, does your temperature gauge move down?

Depending on the engine the thermostat is either on the engine side of the bottom hose or in radiator. However not having experience of the Alhambra don't hold me to that!

mattkerton
08-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Mike, not sure if you've still got this problem. If so, try checking whether the auxiliary heater is working (under back left corner of the car if you're not sure - about the size of a shoebox with its own moni exhaust pipe coming off it.) The heater heats the coolant when you first start the car, to get the engine up to temperature and then later provide heat to the cabin (all via engine coolant).

After a few minutes of driving, check the heater - if it's working, it'll be making a jet-engine noise and hot air will be blowing out of its mini exhaust (careful checking that, of course). The heater only comes on if the engine's completely cold, so no point checking after a short stop or on a warm day (I think above 7degrees is when it doesn't bother coming on).

dibly
14-07-2008, 11:01 PM
yes i had this problem--mine is x reg and after changing the thermostat it was the same--its just bad in really cold weather--get a heated screen--the wiring plug is under a flap next to the n/side quarter light

dnewpix
05-03-2010, 03:11 AM
good advice dn-
yes i had this problem--mine is x reg and after changing the thermostat it was the same--its just bad in really cold weather--get a heated screen--the wiring plug is under a flap next to the n/side quarter light

hockeynut
07-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Hi there just to say I have the same problem with my Y reg 1.9 TDI, that it takes a good 15 to 20 mins to show any change with temp gauge.

I changed the thermostat, but still no difference and I can hear a noise from under the bonnet, which I take to be the aux heater working when I switch off the engine after a short journey on a cold day.

The gauge also reduces when I stop long enough during trips and also the engine won't heat up from cold just by sitting in the driveway.

Thank god for the heated front seats is all I can say, hope someone on here can shed any light on this problem.

dibly
07-03-2010, 11:02 PM
its the same as mine--terrible at heating up--even after a new themastate--i wondered what the noise was when i stopped

Seat Driver
15-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi Guys

I have the same problem with my 2000 1.9TDI. There is a noise from the engine bay but is that not the oil pump to the turbo. It will stop as soon as you turn on the ignition.

The heater at the rear, just forward of the rear passenger side wheel did sound like a jet engine immediately after a cold start but I have not heard that for quite some time now.

Ivan

dibly
15-03-2010, 07:15 PM
the rear heater on mine has been disconnected so thats not a problen--im waiting for a turbo now--very expensive--make sure you change your oil regularly

Alihambra
14-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Turbo chargers as you no run very hot and any car fitted with one will have an over run pump fitted. When you stop your engine this pump comes on and circulates coolant around the turbo and disappates the heat away in a controlled manor. This stops the turbo from over heating and may be cracking. The pump stops after a certain amount of time, so if you "DONT" hear any thing under the bonnet when you stop you have a big problem.

jonjosar
13-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Might not be of any help but i,ve come on here looking for info on another 02 TDi Alhambra problem and just seen the thread.
My brother in law has been having problems with no heat in his heater for the last 6 months. The car recently started overheating when the engine was under a good decent load, eg Towing a caravan, long uphill inclines ets. To cut a long story short, it was found that his radiator was blocked by what only can be described as what looked like the remnants of black silicone. The entire cooling system needed flushed and he now seems to have hot air in the car a lot quicker than before. I asked a mate who works on diesels a lot and he tells me that he has came across this now on 2 occasions in Alhambras.