PDA

View Full Version : Polo Headlight

hussaingio
18-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi There,
Would appreciate if anyone can advice me how to replace the headlight bulb on my 2004 Polo 1.4. Tried removing all the screws but still could not yank the headlight out to change the bulb, i am sure there is something holding it in.
:1zhelp:
Regards
Hussain-Dubai.

e6m6a6
03-05-2007, 04:06 PM
i have a 98 vw polo, it still may be the same design so this might help!
when the grill and headlamp trim is taken off, under the headlamp is multi-spline bolt holding the bottom of the lamp, simply remove and the headlamp should come away =]

Dancer
08-03-2009, 10:04 PM
If you are having difficulty replacing the Dip Headlamp bulbs because you can't get your hand into the space behind the headlamp. I have found the way to do it.
The Fuel Filter is held in a cylindrical holder fixed to the body with one Torx (T45) screw at the top and two Torx screws lower down. Remove these and you will be able to move the Fuel Filter without having to mess with the rubber tubes going to and from it. There is now plenty of leeway to allow you to put your hand in and remove and replace the new bulb. The Dip Headlight differs from the Main Beams, as they are held in place with a locking ring. These are removed by turning the ring anti-clockwise. Note, where the metal tab is when you remove the blown bulb, so that you can replace the bulb easily. It should be at the top. Insert the new bulb into the holder and secure it by turning the ring clockwise to lock it. Finally push the wiring plug onto the lugs on the back of the bulb.
If you are really stuck, Halfords can fit the bulb for you but they charge £4.99 to do it.
I was able to buy a heavy duty set of Torx Drivers (which look like Allen Keys but with circular stems and fluted ends with a hole in each end for 'security Torx screws' for £4 including shipping on eBay. I will keep these in the car along with the Emergency set of bulbs. Then I will be able to change a bulb at the roadside if the situation ever occurs.
Happy Motoring

fatboyonadiet
09-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Be careful when doing this, did mine a few years back and lost the clips while doing it! Failed it's MOT and I had to get 2 brand new headlights!

hogday
22-03-2009, 04:01 PM
If you are having difficulty replacing the Dip Headlamp bulbs because you can't get your hand into the space behind the headlamp. I have found the way to do it.
The Fuel Filter is held in a cylindrical holder fixed to the body with one Torx (T45) screw at the top and two Torx screws lower down. Remove these and you will be able to move the Fuel Filter without having to mess with the rubber tubes going to and from it. There is now plenty of leeway to allow you to put your hand in and remove and replace the new bulb. The Dip Headlight differs from the Main Beams, as they are held in place with a locking ring. These are removed by turning the ring anti-clockwise. Note, where the metal tab is when you remove the blown bulb, so that you can replace the bulb easily. It should be at the top. Insert the new bulb into the holder and secure it by turning the ring clockwise to lock it. Finally push the wiring plug onto the lugs on the back of the bulb.
If you are really stuck, Halfords can fit the bulb for you but they charge £4.99 to do it.
I was able to buy a heavy duty set of Torx Drivers (which look like Allen Keys but with circular stems and fluted ends with a hole in each end for 'security Torx screws' for £4 including shipping on eBay. I will keep these in the car along with the Emergency set of bulbs. Then I will be able to change a bulb at the roadside if the situation ever occurs.
Happy Motoring
Hi. I just came to the same conclusion and then found this helpful post. Mine is a 1.4TDi `02 model. That said, to save myself the bother I just went to my local Halfords and whereas they said they'd be OK to do the n/s bulb, they were not allowed to undo anything eg batteries, fuel pum holders etc in order to complete the job. So it's out in the cold with my toolkit, for me.

hogday
22-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Further to my last - Mine is a 1.4TDI and that pesky fuel filter is indeed a major obstruction. I found the lower torx bolts referred to very hard to access and gave up, but on removing the top one, and slipping the filter out, I was able to gently prise it away far enough to get my left hand down there and with much feel and error managed to prise it open (bit like my first marriage really). As so many others have stated, designed by someone who deserves to have to change these bulbs, forever, in wherever VW hell is.