PDA

View Full Version : Base Spec Leon won't start

agentz
22-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Morning all.
This is my first post here, came across the forum from Google trying to find out what's going on with our Leon, and from what I've seen so far this looks like the place to get some info :)

Our Leon is our second car, it's a 2001-Y Leon 1.4S (so really pov. spec!) and it's done 57k miles and has on the whole been pretty reliable (got another issue but that's another post for another time!)

Yesterday I'd been running around in the car most of the day and it'd been fine. I parked the car up to deliver some stuff, came out and the car won't start.

It unlocked fine with the remote and when I put the key in the ignition all the telltales lit up like normal, then they went out as normal. I turned the key and nothing happened. Literally nothing - no click from the starter never mind trying to crank the engine. No strange lights on the dash, no strange noises apart from silence.

I tried relocking and unlocking the doors a couple of times with the remote and manually using the key - no change, still dead as a dead thing.

My first instinct was the immobiliser has gone funky but I could be completely out with that guess.

Is there anything else I could/should do to try and figure out what's going on?

A complication - I am currently 450 miles away from the car! We drove to Surrey last night (in the other car) and had to leave the car outside my parents house, it literally died 45 minutes before we were due to leave! So any advice I can relay to my dad would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Eshrules
22-02-2008, 12:17 PM
first things first.... have you checked the battery?

agentz
22-02-2008, 12:23 PM

I literally didn't have time to check much at all last night in the tipping rain and knowing I had a 450 mile drive ahead :)

If the battery is weak would that cause it to light up everything as normal but nothing else? I made sure everything was switched off when it wouldn't start, and after the second attempt I flicked the headlights on and they seemed OK, but like I said I'm pretty clueless!

Thanks

agentz
24-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Morning
I'm still down in Surrey but have just spoken to my dad. He's had a look at the car and it is still dead as a dead thing.

He tried jump starting the car this morning and still the same, no response, not attempting to turn over. He has also worked through the handbook and checked all the fuses that it could possibly be and they are all fine.

He said he thinks he could hear the starter motor solenoid clicking but nothing beyond that.

Anybody got any other suggestions?

I think I'm going to have to phone the RAC when I get home on Tuesday and get them to take the car to my local tame mechanic :(

Thanks in advance for your help

TROJAN
02-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I would go with eshrules, battery may be strong enough to illuminate dash lights and headlights but not strong enough to turn car over. Drop another battery on and see how you go. All the best

Saponetto
29-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi, it seems quite familiar to me...

have a look from below, through the engine lower shield aiming on the battery.
You'll see a short (too short) cable, probably broken on engine side connector.

Replace it with something of similar section but longer, and the crank will come again at its normal life...

Cheers! ;)