PDA

View Full Version : Dash Stopped Working-Speedo,Fuel Gauge,Rev Counter etc....HELP!!

stevesos
22-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Looking for some help, my passenger side window was playing up so I took my car to a local garage as recommended by a friend. The garage fixed the window, they said slider was broken and so window was going up squint which is why it would stop. This is working fine and they dropped the car back off to my house.

Next morning when I went to work when I turned the engine on the dash didn't work. No speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge, millage counter or clock. The warning lights all work as in ESP and airback and parking, indicator lights work as to headlights. The stereo lights up but the light in the centre compartment doesn't??

Does anyone have an idea of what this might be or why it might of happened. The garage are saying the window would have nothing to do with the dash but it's been fine for 4 years and the day after they had it it's gone? Sorry for the long thread!!

Cheers

leedsglaser
28-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Looking for some help, my passenger side window was playing up so I took my car to a local garage as recommended by a friend. The garage fixed the window, they said slider was broken and so window was going up squint which is why it would stop. This is working fine and they dropped the car back off to my house.

Next morning when I went to work when I turned the engine on the dash didn't work. No speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge, millage counter or clock. The warning lights all work as in ESP and airback and parking, indicator lights work as to headlights. The stereo lights up but the light in the centre compartment doesn't??

Does anyone have an idea of what this might be or why it might of happened. The garage are saying the window would have nothing to do with the dash but it's been fine for 4 years and the day after they had it it's gone? Sorry for the long thread!!

Cheers

i'm having something very similar
All the dials don't work, they are froze, even when I turn the engine off.
The dash doesn't light up and the speedo etc don't move.
I've checked all the fuses so it aint them

It has been flickered for a few weeks but now it's all gone

thanks in advance

stevesos
29-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Yeah it's a pain, had it in Audi today.....gave in £400 to sort, needs a new dash and then has to be reprogrammed by Audi.

Good luck in getting yours sorted.

leedsglaser
02-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah it's a pain, had it in Audi today.....gave in £400 to sort, needs a new dash and then has to be reprogrammed by Audi.

Good luck in getting yours sorted.

Can only Audi do the re-programming then?

stevesos
04-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah only Audi or VW, needs to plug into their system. Had to hand all my keys over for them to reprogram them all. Gutted but had to be done as the speed cameras kept getting me :-)

sabai dee
08-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi
Yes I have a 2004 audi a3 2.0 TD and experienced sudden power loss to the dash. V worringly when your driving at night and you have no power to any of the instuments. This was an intermittent fault which went on for a few months. I eventually took the car back to Audi (out of warranty) and found out that the dash is similar to TT's and a recognised fault had been identified by Audi and I had the dash replaced for free.

Unfortunatly today I have found another fault where the fan in the engine compartment now stays on and the batt runs flat. I am reluctant to take the car back to Audi as I know I will probably need another mortgage to fix. Any ideas?

Good luck

sabai dee
08-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Sorry stevesos just seen you had the work done. It may be worth trying it on with Audi and see if they will give you some money back if they admit the fault is in the manufacturing of their dash.
Cheers

hoovers dad
07-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi, my son has an 07 S3 with exactly the same issue. dash lights come on for airbag, abs etc but no speedo, rev counter, fuel or temp gauges or any back lighting. The mileometer is not showing any miles nor does the MFA show any numbers. The climate control on the centre console shows the temperatures when first turning the ignition on but about 5 seconds after the engine starts they dissapear. If you shine a torch on the display and change the temperature settings you can see the numbers changing so it must be some sort of back lighting issue ? I have taken the dash cluster out (easy when you know how, difficult when you don't !) and started the engine with the dash in my hand but no jiggling of the wires seems to make any difference.
I know that Audi TT had well documented problems with dashboard failures so am wondering if this is a similar issue with the A3 / S3 ?
If anyone can offer any ideas on how to fix without having to feed the Audi dealer sharks or have experience of Auidi putting their short arms into their deep pockets to pick up the cost it will be most welcome ! Thanks, Hoovers Dad.