PDA

View Full Version : Airbag Light - PLEASE HELP

abugarcia
21-02-2008, 09:34 PM
I have a 2006 Jetta and the airbag light is on. It is under warranty. I took it to the dealer, and they "reset" it by taking the battery cable off and reinstalled it about 5 minutes later. This did not work. They installed a new "sensor" and reset it again I think with a program, and advised that the light would be on for approx. 4 days and extinguish. NO LUCK.

The mechanics and service folks at the dealer are not quite on par. Anything obvious to look at? I have head possibly of some wiring under the drivers seat for the harness that can get frayed? Any suggestions when you go to the dealer? Any type of help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks A Lot!

skodaescapee
22-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi, Can't help personally but I would recommend going onto the Briskoda forum site signing up and asking on the Octavia 2 threads. Very well supported site with trade looking in and answering. Probably get a quicker reply for this type of question. Same parts under the bonnet of the Skoda......
Best of luck....:beerchug:

Flash2
28-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Not sure about Jettas, but golfs have problems with the wiring for the side airbags that are built into the front seats. Moving the seat causes a connector on the seat wiring to make and break which puts the airbag light on. I'm sure both vehicles will use the same seats so perhaps that's what's causing your light to come on.

Regards - Jim.

colb666
20-04-2008, 06:16 AM
I've just had the crash sensor in the drivers door replaced on my car due to the light coming on,first time i went to the dealer they reset it and it stayed off for 2 days.When it came back on I took it back and they scanned it again and it came back up with the fault showing as this sensor inside the drivers door.

Seems ok again since the sensor was replaced nearly 2 weeks ago.

The dealer telling you it'll go out after a few days is crap,once its on the light can only be reset by vagcom or similar and it will go out right away unless the fault still exists.

y2ksparky
27-05-2008, 04:47 AM
I'd suggest that that maybe the mechanic at the dealer was maybe an apprentice instead?I'm being kind mind you!! Basically you were not dealt with properly. You do not clear airbag faults by disconnecting battery cables, in fact that can cause more problems by losing adaptation values stored in other modules. You need to have it scanned by the dealer with a scan tool and fixed as this is a safety issue. As mentioned the seat airbag wiring is favorite for giving intermittant open circuits. Ask them what fault was stored. You have a right as it's your car, and demand they fix it as amatter of urgency.

mike gardner
12-01-2009, 11:46 PM
My 98 vw jetta had an intermittant problem with the airbag light coming on for a minute or so and then going off for a minute or so and coming back on. This went on for a long time. I scanned with airbag scanner and got "no codes found" After quite a bit of troubleshooting, I removed the instrument cluster, disconnected the 2 wiring harnesses to the cluster and reinstalled.
The airbag light only comes on during power on self test. Problem solved!!