PDA

View Full Version : Swines trashed my golf....

jagophile
21-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

Forgive me if this is an inappropriate place to post or type of post - I'm new to these forums.

So 2 nights ago some little schmucks tried to hotwire my plain old Mk II Golf (fine condition - only 60,000 on the clock, full service history, etc.). They broke the passenger window and tore open all the stuff around the steering wheel (apologies, I don't know the technical term - cowling?). They were defeated by the immobiliser I'd had fitted, so they then left having stolen nothing.

My insurance company have declared the car a write off, claiming that the repair bill comes to £900. They have not elaborated on where this figure comes from.

Does this seem right? Having spoken to the garage, the list of repairs needed is:

Steering column shaft
Steering column tube
Steering column shroud (lower)
Steering column shroud (upper)
switch steering column LH & RH ( I assume this means the indicator stalks)
Door glass
Door weather sheeting
Door outer weatherseal

SO basically, a new steering column & a new window. Is £900 really realistic for this? Seem like a lot...

Secondly, and apologies for asking too many questions, are these things that can be fixed by myself if I decide to do so? I'm not overly confident with electrical stuff, but I am reasonable with mechanical (I change the cylinder head gasket last summer).

I'm loathe to abandon my car because some git broke the window, but it seems to be what my insurance is trying to get me to do!

Any advice? They have given me until tomorrow morning before the car goes to the scrappers.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

golf88
22-02-2008, 09:32 AM
stuff the insurance company go down GSF thats where the majority if not all of your parts will come from and i dont think £900 is a true estimate i think alot less, the insurance company is just trying to get alot more money from you dont let them take the mk2, also catch the little ****/s who trashed it then break their legs dont let them get away with it

neileg
22-02-2008, 11:27 AM
If I was to buy these parts at my local scrapyard, I'd be surprised if the cost was more than £50.

jagophile
22-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys. I have withdrawn my claim from the insurance company and they're giving me my car back today - I will attempt to fix it myself. I have even persuaded a friend to let me cover his driveway in bits of Golf for the next 2 weeks or so while I fix it :)

Now to arrange for me, the thieves and a chainsaw to be in a room at the same time... :D

Thanks again,
Adam

onzarob
22-02-2008, 12:42 PM
The reason that its £900 pounds is labour + new parts. They can't use secondhand parts to fix it. IMO you've done the right thing and shoudn't cost you too much to sort ;)