PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 1.6 3 Doors

New Age Driver
21-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Hello all..new here. :o

I'm in the market for an Audi A3 (Golfs are so common these days, no offence to Golf owners :D). Golf owners tell me different, please.

Anyway, I've recently been reading some buyers guides and they have really put me in a bad position as to what model to get. There's the Standard, Sport, Sports Edition and the SE (which I thought was just an abbreviation of Sports Edition :confused:)..

Which one is the best? I read one review which said the SE model is the best..?

Also, brand new is £14,995..now I've looked for used cars and they're in the 12/13 grand price range, which isn't much difference from buying a brand new one..

Please help lads..and ladettes, of course. :biglaugh:

New Age Driver
22-02-2008, 12:35 AM
anyone?? please..

engineermk
22-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Aftrer serveral years of Golf driving (Mk1, 2, 3 and 4) i switched from Golf GTI 1.8T to an A3 last year.

I rejected teh MKV golf as the interior was too cheap looking (compared to my mk4) and its significantly taller than both teh A3 and previous Golfs.

Upside - the Audi trim beats the Golf hands down, it has a real solid feel and looks like it will last for some time.

Downside - you pay for the Audi badge, the base car is more expensive and you need to add options to match the standard kit on a Golf.

I chose the Sport trim as i wanted sports seat s and a stiff supension. Choose the base or SE is you want a more comfoprtable ride. I rejected the S-line as i'm not a fan of leather and found teh ride on 18in wheels to harsh. The Special Edition is an entry level model to entice people to the brand and problably offeres the best value for money.

Hope this helps.

New Age Driver
22-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I have definitely noticed that the Audi is a tad more expensive. What do you mean by add more options to match the standard kit on the Golf?

With regards to the models, the FSI (don't know what that stands for..probably makes the car sound good). I am intriued by this FSI as I noticed you can get an FSI Sport and an FSI SE..what is this FSI? is it Turbo charged? as they have a significantly better top speed (FSI Sport & SE - 122mph) and a significantly better 0-60mph (FSI Sport - 10.9seconds, FSI SE - 9.2seconds)

Lastly (sorry to be a bugger lol) what one would you recommend for a 19 year old, student who wants a cool looking car, quick and slick?

Thanks for your help.

engineermk
22-02-2008, 12:58 PM
I had to load my car with several options to match the Golf GTi Spec (auto mirrors, lights, wipers) and several more to get the car i wanted; GSM phone, Ipod, heated seats, etc. But i do spend a lot of time in my car... 20.000 miles each year.

The FSI engien is a direct injection unit, the TFSI is turbo charged direct injection. Unless you are an engineer (which I am) ignore the letters and choose the that has the performace you want.

Any car that does 0-60 in about 10sec, and top speed of 110+ will be more than adequtae for the average driver. Remenber you can only go as fast as teh car in front or speed limit before you get into trouble. I'd suggest gianng some experience before heading for a signifiacntly more powerful car.

At 19 an 1.6 A3 will be a good choice; solid, reliable, fast enough and cool.

Go Enjoy!

New Age Driver
22-02-2008, 01:14 PM
This is one of those moments where you have too many questions to ask and don't want to be a pain by asking them! lol

1) With regards to the FSI, I see you have one. Now, the TFSI pretty much doubles your insurance, would the FSI do the same? Is it a much better drive, faster compared to the normal Sport, SE and Special Edition?

2) Did you buy yours secondhand or new? Do you know anywhere I can get a good deal? and what price I should be paying for the car?

3) Out of the models, which one do you think is the best? SE, Sport, Special Edition? I've been trying to find this out but to no avail and I don't want to get the wrong car and not be happy with it.

4) You got any pictures of your car?

Once again, sorry for asking so many questions. I just need to find/get the right car. Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

engineermk
22-02-2008, 01:35 PM
This is one of those moments where you have too many questions to ask and don't want to be a pain by asking them! lol

1) With regards to the FSI, I see you have one. Now, the TFSI pretty much doubles your insurance, would the FSI do the same? Is it a much better drive, faster compared to the normal Sport, SE and Special Edition?

2) Did you buy yours secondhand or new? Do you know anywhere I can get a good deal? and what price I should be paying for the car?

3) Out of the models, which one do you think is the best? SE, Sport, Special Edition? I've been trying to find this out but to no avail and I don't want to get the wrong car and not be happy with it.

4) You got any pictures of your car?

Once again, sorry for asking so many questions. I just need to find/get the right car. Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

1)Like i said; ignore the FSI letters... choose the engine that gives the performance you desire at an affordable insurance cost. I have a 2.0 TFSI quattro and 20yrs driving experince including a lot of high speed driver training for my job. I'd suggest a 19yo would need a lot of driving tallent to need a car like mine. A 1.6 will be fine.

2) I've had mine from new but as its a company supplied car price, running and insurance costs are not my concern.

3)only you can decided which trim is best for based on your motoring needs. have you used the configurator on the Audi website to compare the Spec Ed vs sport vs SE? I suspect the 1.6 Special Edition is the best buy based on value for money, the 1.6 Sport willl the best as it has sporter wheels and sits a bit lower on the road.

4)nope. Its a Silver A3, a quick search on google will find you loads of images.

Space Cadet
22-02-2008, 01:55 PM
To be truthful, I’d go for the Golf as you will get a lot more car for your budget, plus you won’t have to worry about trim packages too much.

Get yourself on the VW (or Audi) site and have a look at the different engine and trim packages then you’ll know what they all mean in Laymen's terms.

I’ve got a 3.2Q S-line and it’s wicked, but then I’m 32 - If I was starting off again I’d may be get a Golf TDI with low insurance and still a bit of poke then work my way up.

I actually think the A3’s are becoming common, but the MK5 Golf still looks OK, may be it’s just my area.

engineermk
22-02-2008, 02:00 PM
I agree, A3's are common, but i live in Milton Keynes (home of VW & Audi UK) so any VW, Audi, Skoda or Seat is a common sight here. We're overrun with Merc's too as their HQ is also in town.

I also think you are right about the Golf, if i were 19yo I'd buy the better value Golf over the A3.

paul b
22-02-2008, 11:54 PM
For a 19 year old, I would consider a decent Fabia. It is virtually the same mechanically to a Polo, or an Ibiza, but it is a few insurance groups lower. The 130bhp 1.9 TDI VRS is fun, yet still easily gives 45mpg. However the 1.4 TDI is pokey enough. One thing you have to be confident about, is that the driver won't run out of talent on the roads.
Paul

New Age Driver
23-02-2008, 12:07 AM
The thing is, I'm very keen on the A3. Down here in London there are way too many Golfs and alot of my mates have Golfs, so I just want to be different.

I've been for a test drive in one, absolutely loved it. He's selling it at£14,995 but I think thats just for the standard one, although I'm not sure. I'm looking into getting a used one, possibly, as I can get a better model. There's nothing like that new car smell but if I'm getting the worst model of the A3, brand new, then I might as well go for a used one from last year and get a much better model.

engineermk
23-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Paul B. I agree with you. I'd strongly recommend a 1yr old Fabia VRS 130. Great car and very good value with stonking performance and characteristics that will suit an inexperienced driver.

Over to you New Age Driver... Over priced A3, I see 'em everwhere Golf or I have a mind of my own Fabia VRS?

New Age Driver
23-02-2008, 05:20 PM
http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/images/customercars/Skoda%20Fabia%20vRS.jpg

Is that the Fabia? If so, it's a bit too 'old granny mobile' for me lol. No offence to any tough, macho Fabia drivers. ;)

I understand the A3 is slightly pricey, but from what I gather, so is the Golf. I think you get what you pay for. The A3, in my opinion, is the best 3 door out there. It looks cool, drives smoothe and the interior is very nice. I do, however, agree that it is pricey, that is something which has made it quite a struggle to not only find the right one but also to buy one.

It seems Audi have stopped selling the FSI 1.6..

paul b
23-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Paul B. I agree with you. I'd strongly recommend a 1yr old Fabia VRS 130. Great car and very good value with stonking performance and characteristics that will suit an inexperienced driver.

Over to you New Age Driver... Over priced A3, I see 'em everwhere Golf or I have a mind of my own Fabia VRS?
I did say a 1.4 TDI is pokey enough.

New Age Driver
24-02-2008, 02:34 PM
I, also, wanted to ask if an FSI would hike up the insurance? I know a TFSI would..