PDA

View Full Version : PD or non PD?

Marc97
17-11-2006, 08:06 PM
What should I look for on my Audi 80 TDi to visually check whether my pump is a PD or non PD pump?

Cheers,

Marc.

adamss24
17-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Your car had a rotary pump and sepperate injectors conected with high pressure metal pipes. PD(pumpe deuse) as the name says its a mini pump/injector unit that had way higher pressure(about 2500 PSI !) on each piston. Depending on the year of your car/engine code you either had a 90 Hp 1Z engine with a direct injection(Hence TDI) or it could be a indirected injection, AAZ engine with 75 Hp. But i think you said its a TDI so it iz a 1Z-90 Hp.

Marc97
17-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Ye mate, deffo a a 1.9 TDi, 1995 (M) is the year.

So it's looking like non PD? In that case, does anybody know where the plug is that the 'Tuning Box' plugs into?

Sorry, I'm new to Audi's and therefore a bit thick.

Cheers for the reply.

Marc.

adamss24
18-11-2006, 01:43 AM
The tunning box its supposed to fit between the ecu and the injection pump. You have to unplug the IP conector and count how many pins are on the plug. I suppose its only 8. THEN WHEN THE BOX COMES, YOU PLUG ONE END OF THE BOX TO THE ECU CONECTOR AND THE OTHER ONE TO THE PUMP. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG. If you looking for the diagnostic plugs, i think your car its OBD1 so it will have 2 plugs: one white and the other black or brown in the box on the bulkhead where some relays and fuses are.

Marc97
18-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Ta mate. RE: The plug, see my other post about 'The 'magic' plug'
Driving me mental though, I'm thinking it will have to be chipped rather than a tuning box???
Although you seem to know more than me about this so, continuing with my theme of 'being thick', here goes:

What is an IP connector, where would it be on my car?
Where is the ECU connector (where is the ECU?)?
Why would I need the diagnostic plugs?, all the tuning boxes I've looked at only come with an 8 or 10 pin plug and I'm not having much luck finding it. The plugs in the fuse box are very small and only have a couple of connectors each.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Marc.

devonutopia
18-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Was going to say that I think Audi stopped making the 80 before they started putting the PD engines into cars. As a rule, generally the first PD engines started coming out in the VAG range around X / W era. Mines on a Y plate, but they didn't start putting the pd100 into the skoda fabia until a little later than other group cars.

adamss24
18-11-2006, 07:21 PM
IP means Injection Pump aka Diesel Pump. The pump its governed electrically by the ecu, hence the name Drive-by-wire and means that there is no direct conection(cable) between the accelerator(throttle) pedal and the pump. Most tuning boxes have a male plug and a female plug(and it goes inline between the Engine Control Unit(ECU) and pump. If o you will chip the engine i think you will have to have someone remove the EEproms from the Ecu and solder new ones with the new maps on. A tuning box its easyer to fit/remove in case you decide to sell the car and could be sold to another punter !

Marc97
18-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Was going to say that I think Audi stopped making the 80 before they started putting the PD engines into cars.

I'm still not sure whether its a PD pump but I'm 90% that it is. It is a 'Drive by wire' system, all ECU controlled. My engine is the 90hp 1Z engine, the same engine that went into the A4's after the 80's and that was able to have a tuning box fitted.

If o you will chip the engine i think you will have to have someone remove the EEproms from the Ecu and solder new ones with the new maps on. A tuning box its easyer to fit/remove in case you decide to sell the car and could be sold to another punter !

I was only considering a chip because I can't for the life of me find any 8 or 10 pin plugs that the tuning box would plug into. If anybody could shed any light on where I might be missing the plug or knows exactly where the plug should be on an 80, I'd be eternally grateful because I have been offered a 10 pin tuning box for cheap money and could do with being sure ASAP before it gets sold to someone else.

Thanks all,

Marc.

devonutopia
18-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Pretty sure that PDs don't have a fuel pump in the engine bay. There's one down in the fuel tank area, which might be like any other, but each injector on a PD is effectively a fuel pump, hence PD = pumpe duse, or something like that anyway. :o

Marc97
18-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Sorry mate, I meant I'm sure its a non PD pump. You are right, I was confused :)