PDA

View Full Version : Golf V GTI Xenon light adjustment

Bladeboy
17-11-2006, 05:43 PM
I am going around in circles at the dealers. I wanted to buy some black sticky bits for the headlamps for driving abroad.
So far dealers say, Xenons: too hot to stick them on, the optional headlamp protectors will not stick either,another dealer says the headlamp protectors will work at £35!
There is a lever on each lamp to adjust etc. (no there is not!)
Not one of them has come up with a way of not blinding our European cousins,
Has anyone any ideas on this please? Thanks:1zhelp:

jimmygti
28-11-2006, 09:59 PM
I had a similar problem my GTI Xenon's were set too high and I kept getting flashed by oncoming traffic. Took it to VW the only way to adjust the lights is at the dealer. This seems a bit daft if you drive in the UK and Europe but its the only way as there is no manual adjuster like on BMW's. Hopefully this design flaw wil be sorted (didn't pay extra for Xenon's for this hassel!).

Jim

Bladeboy
29-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Jim, Many thanks,
On the weekend I found a 6mm white hex bolt on each lamp unit, these adjusted the height of the lamps either up or down, lined up against a wall, I was able to take the 'kick' out of the beam pattern, by turning each adjuster down by 3 complete turns. This will certainly be good enough for drving on the right, although it seems I cannot get the kerb side high for driving on the right, it just levels out the beam. Not sure if this is the correct way, or if the dealer does something different, but I am abroad next week, so I will know if it has worked or not. Good thing is with a hex driver takes about 10seconds a lamp!

07gtidriver
11-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks for this advice,ive had the same problem with my lights,indeed there is a 6mm hex screw which adjusts position,been driving me (and other people) mad,sorted now though cheers.:beerchug:

vwpd130
07-02-2008, 12:04 AM
the correct way to adjust the xenon headlamps is to put them into basic settings on a level ground with no weight in the car, only then can they be adjusted correctly using a calibrated beam setter, this can be done using vag com or vas5051 (dealer tool)

by law the xenon headlamps are "to a degree" self levelling via a sensor on each corner of the car