PDA

View Full Version : Com Port Problem

tony_anon
21-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi,

Trying to run vag-com 409.1 version. Got 3rd party USB to OBD2 lead from ebay.

Installed vag-com no problem, followed instructions for USB driver installation for windows xp.

Problem is when running vag-com (options-> select COM Port->USB-> TEST), I get error message:

Port Status: OK
Interfae: Not Found!

The drivers loaded without any probs (also tried off driver cd). Device Status is "working properly", the properties of the device are:

USB Serial Pert (COM6)

Device type: Ports (COM & LPT)
Manufacturer: FTDI

I understand vag-com does not like any ports above 4, so I changed it to 2 and got the same error.

Can anyone offer any advice please on how to get vag-com to recognise the cable?

Cheers.

PS, I have not connected it to the car yet

tony_anon
21-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Problem fixed after emailing cable seller. After matching the COM ports, I had to connect it to the car.

goblin247
27-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Hi,

I have the same problem, bought usb cable like yourself but getting interface not recognised. But if its a USB surely I do not have to match ports??
How did you manage to fix?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

tony_anon
27-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi,

This is the link the ebayer sent me. I'm sure you'll get it going after going through it. Seems a common problem!

http://yassek.com/setcomonusben.html

Cheers.

goblin247
29-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Hi,

Many thanks for your response, but my lappy does not have any "ports" within device manager. Using Vista. There is ref to only usb, which is all I have, and unable to change any ports on these. Any other pointers would be great.

John.

Eshrules
29-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi,

Many thanks for your response, but my lappy does not have any "ports" within device manager. Using Vista. There is ref to only usb, which is all I have, and unable to change any ports on these. Any other pointers would be great.

John.

I've not used vista,

but this would appear to be more of a techy issue than a vagcom....

is there no control panel on vista? :confused:

goblin247
04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Morning,

Many thanks for your help. Hey Presto, at last I have it working. Port showed when I plugged cable in, from there changed to com1 on lappy and vagcom. Tried and tested program and appears to be running ok. 3 faults found, Coolant temp sensor (which I had already investigated), ABS problem but as for as I know this is OK as the car has had ABS overhauled, fingers crossed it just needs resetting. And that the immobilser had stopped the engine running(had bought spare key from e bay and have been trying to program that for a spare). Time to read up on the notes and take it slowly and play. :) Any tips that you have come across will be gratefullt recd.

John

tony_anon
05-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Watch out for driver problems with these cheapo fleabay cables. My laptop has crashed countless times with the blue screen of death with xp!

"DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

I had to re-install the printer driver as I think there was a conflict. Don't use any ports that are in use between COM1 and COM4.