PDA

View Full Version : Euro plates - Uk version with the blue & German Style presed alloy

Ben
31-05-2007, 12:46 PM
The other day i followed a 55 plate 2.7tdi A6 black estate. Very nice looking. The owner had clearly spent alot of money, so why had he promptly gone and defaced the rear of the car with a GB sticker.

WHY?

Surely if you are spending that much money the Europlates would be foc from the dealer. In fact, why aren't they fitted as standard by everyone? i got mine free.

When on your journeys later, take a look at all new cars and you'll be suprised at how many thoughtless people there are out there. By thoughtless i mean people that don't have the foresight to get the Europlates. No offence.

I accept that company cars may be omitted from this as most probably can't go overseas.

Sam
31-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about those awful "German-look" plates the Americans fit to their German cars.

I have a magnetic GB badge which I attach to the car when I'm abroad because I didn't want a europlate cluttering up my number plates.

Stickers are wrong though. After removing one from a previous car that looked as though it had been on there for 20 years I'd never put a sticker on my bodywork again.

RickT
31-05-2007, 05:36 PM
I got front and rear GB plates the other day for £13.. (for both)

One thing i saw the other week which made me think about what you are saying above..

I saw a Bently GT in black with a GB sticker on the rear bumper.. like it had just been put anyway.. ie at a daft angel...

I got the impression it was just a car.. put it anywhere!!

RickT

Eshrules
31-05-2007, 05:58 PM
I got front and rear GB plates the other day for £13.. (for both)

One thing i saw the other week which made me think about what you are saying above..

I saw a Bently GT in black with a GB sticker on the rear bumper..

I got the impression it was just a car

:crying:

Captain Answer
05-06-2007, 07:44 AM
I have never understood why people have these things?????

Fettler
05-06-2007, 08:54 AM
I have never understood why people have these things?????

Bentleys yeah why have one!

......grabs coat and runs for door :D

Veedubber
05-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I think they look horrible - the europlates, not the bentleys. Perhaps the "thoughtless" people have no intention of driving abroad and so would have no need for advertising their nationality surely?

RickT
05-06-2007, 11:32 PM
I disagree...

I like the GB logo'ed plates... but saying that, i have been over seas a few times in my car... but one thing i do like.. it adds a bit of colour to the boring UK style plates..

RickT

MalcQV
06-06-2007, 07:59 AM
I disagree...

I like the GB logo'ed plates... but saying that, i have been over seas a few times in my car... but one thing i do like.. it adds a bit of colour to the boring UK style plates..

RickT

Not got them yet but I am with you, any excuse to promote this fine country of ours :approve:

Loud_Audi
21-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Do people with these plates get much trouble off the police? My mate got a £30 fine and had to change back to the standard ones. I was considering getting some but not if Im going to be constantly paying fines and swapping plates!

New Age Driver
21-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Simply put, yes. Anything other than the standard UK License plates and you're getting pulled by the police.

smokey0123
21-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Ive had them on my M3 for months and been pulled over a few times no problems yet but traffic police may be a bit more strict.

Ben
21-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I define euro plates as being standard road legal number plates with the blue left hand end with the GB logo and the circle of stars that indicate the EU.

These are perfectly leagl in this country and europe so you no longer have to deface your car with a massive GB sticker.

smokey0123
21-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Make sure they have GB on them and not D.

Ben
21-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Then the o/p would be taling about German style plates - a vast difference.;)

Loud_Audi
22-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I was talking about the pressed aluminium ones. I'll have to give it some thought, seems its one of those mods that some people get away with and some dont. Cheers for your help all.

RickT
23-02-2008, 01:17 AM
There are illegal and the Police are clamping down on them.. the major factor is the non reflective paint due to the raw paint finish..

If you can afford a £30 ticket every time you go out and the chance of 6 points for re-offending go for it..

Rick

Rage
23-02-2008, 10:15 AM
i thing that the gb europlates are a good idea cos i am 100% british (and have been since i was born lol) and im getting fed up with having too many foreign cars about premoting their country. as much as i would never fight for this country seen as its full of imigrants i still want to say that i AM british, so the europlates are good imo and as said before they add colour to the boring uk plates

k9max
23-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I wasn't keen on the Europlates when they first appeared, but have grown to quite like them now.
Though they are just another typical example of having to fall in line with what those bods in Brussels want! When I had my Mk3 GTI years ago I had England plates (instead of the blue bit it was St Georges flag), looked quite good...

k9max
23-02-2008, 11:47 AM
There are illegal and the Police are clamping down on them.. the major factor is the non reflective paint due to the raw paint finish...

Rick

...as is the different size/spacing of the letters, the same way people juggle about with letters, to make up words on private plates, or use flash lettering.

Crasher
23-02-2008, 12:08 PM
One of my staff has these on his Polo and he has been pulled at least three times now, once last weekend. He was warned that he faces having his car issued with a "Q" plate which gives the car automotive leprosy!

Sam
25-02-2008, 12:28 PM
One of my staff has these on his Polo and he has been pulled at least three times now, once last weekend. He was warned that he faces having his car issued with a "Q" plate which gives the car automotive leprosy!

One of your staff?!

http://www.yourbutler.ca/images/butler.jpg

Crasher
25-02-2008, 02:14 PM
OK then, slave. What else am I supposed to call them? :D

STEWY L
21-03-2008, 11:07 AM
OK then, slave. What else am I supposed to call them? :D
we used to get called "SKINS":zx11:

Crasher
21-03-2008, 03:28 PM
! :biglaugh:

allanj
21-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Do people with these plates get much trouble off the police? My mate got a £30 fine and had to change back to the standard ones. I was considering getting some but not if Im going to be constantly paying fines and swapping plates!
There should be no problems with having EURO plates on any vehicle. Your friend could have had a non-standard size or typeface for the registration. as long as you keep to the standard size the euro plates are legal in UK.

Crasher
21-03-2008, 09:51 PM
White plate on the back, I don't think so. I am not sure you understand what is meant by this Euro look thing, it refers to the use of German style number plates.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/displayofnumberplates.pdf